Did you know? There is a ritual in Indonesia that involves exhuming the corpses of the deceased, changing their burial clothes, and treating the corpses as if they were still alive.
Mind-Blowing, isn’t it? With over 11 million people, Indonesia is not only one of the best countries to travel to, but it is also a country filled with interesting facts that you should know.
1-5 Fun Facts about Indonesia
1. With a population of over 280 million, Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world.
2. Indonesia has the world’s largest Muslim population.
3. Despite the above fact, Indonesia is not an Islamic state. Indonesian government recognizes six official religions (Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Confucianism).
4. Over 707 living languages are spoken in Indonesia. It is the second most multilingual country.
5. Over 17.4% of Indonesians can speak 3 languages, making it the top trilingual country in the world.
6-10 Interesting Facts about Indonesia
6. In Tana Toraja, South Sulawesi, there was an infamous, unique local cultural festival called “Ma’Nene”.
The ritual involves exhuming the corpses of the deceased, changing their burial clothes, and treating the corpses as if they were still alive. This includes talking to them, praying with them, and offering them food, coffee, and cigarettes.
7. Indonesia and Monaco have completely identical flags. The only difference being that Indonesia’s flag is slightly wider.
8. With an area of over 54,000km, Indonesia has the second longest coastline in the world.
9. Borobudur temple in Central Java is the largest Buddhist temple in the world, decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues.
10. Aceh is the only region in Indonesia that implements the sharia law.
11-15 Aweome Facts about Indonesia
11. In 2005, Indomie broke the Guinness Book of World Records category for “The Largest Packet of Instant Noodles”, with a net weight of 664.938 kg. It was made using the same ingredients as a regular pack of instant noodles and was certified fit for human consumption.
12. After first launching ‘Palapa’ in July 1976, Indonesia became the first developing country to operate its domestic satellite system.
13. Amorphophallus titanum, the most odorous flower on the planet, is found in Indonesia. It can grow to a height of two meters.
When it blooms, it releases a foul odor that can be smelled from half a mile away.
14. With over 11 million people, Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia. But sadly, Jakarta is now sinking at a truly alarming rate. About 40 percent of Jakarta is below sea level.
15. One year in Bali has 210 days. This is due to the official calendar of Bali, which has the year divided into 6 months, with each month having 35 days.
16-20 Crazy Facts about Indonesia
16. Indonesia is home to the most ethnic groups in the world.
17. Indonesians suffer greatly due to corruption. The 2004 Global Corruption Report ranked former Indonesian President Suharto as the most dishonest head of state ever, with thefts totaling between 15 and 35 billion USD.
18. Indonesia was once home to the largest red-light district in Southeast Asia, Dolly, housing up to 2,000 sex workers in one centralized location. Unfortunately, It was shut down in June 2014.
19. The Komodo dragon, found in Indonesia, is the world’s largest lizard, reaching lengths of up to 3 meters (9.8 feet).
20. Indonesia is the world’s largest archipelago, with over 18,000 islands.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Awesome facts about the Indonesia .
Read More: 20 Mind-Blowing Sweden Facts That You May Not Know
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
25 Awesome Brazil Facts That You May Not Know
20 Cool Iceland Facts That You May Not Know
25 Mind-Blowing Australia Facts
25 Mind-Blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder