Japan, the land of the rising sun, is a country steeped in rich culture and history. From its ancient temples and shrines to its cutting-edge technology and anime, Japan offers a unique blend of tradition and modernity. But beyond its iconic landmarks and pop culture phenomena, there are many fascinating Japan facts that are lesser-known to the world. In this article, we will explore 25 mind-blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder, from its world-renowned animation industry to the unique customs and practices that make this country truly one-of-a-kind.
So, whether you’re a history buff or simply curious about this fascinating country, read on to discover the true depth and diversity of Japan.
Fun Facts About Japan
1. Japan accounts for 60% of the world’s animation-based entertainment. Anime is so successful in Japan that there are almost 130 voice-acting schools.
2. This is the most surprising fact for me cause I never even imagined that Pokémon could be this intense.
As 685 kids were rushed to hospitals in Japan in 1997 after an intense Pokémon episode that caused dizziness, vomiting, and seizures.
3. More paper is used for printing manga than toilet paper in Japan.
For those who are not weebs, Manga are comics originating from Japan. And additionally, you better start reading Manga cause they are too awesome to miss out on.
4. In Japan, there is a ‘crying sumo’ contest.
In this contest, the wrestlers compete to see who can make a baby cry first.
5. And despite the Sumo wrestlers of Japan being quite popular, You can hardly find any obese people in the country, outside of the sumo wrestling arena.
Japanese have a well-balanced diet for sure but it is not the sole reason for their low obesity rates.
Reportedly, as per the 2008 Metabo Law, the government monitors the waistline of those who turn 40 years old to ensure that they stay healthy. Japanese citizens between the age of 40 and 74 are supposed to have their waistlines measured annually.
Surprising Facts About Japan
6. From the 12th century to the demise of feudalism in the 19th century, the samurai were a powerful warrior class in Japan. Samurai’s even had a license to kill any commoner who compromised their honor.
7. The world’s oldest company, Kongo Gumi, is in Japan. It specializes in the construction of temples and shrines.
8. If you check your zipper, chances are, it will say YKK on it, which stands for Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikikaisha. Founded in Tokyo in 1934, it is estimated that 7 billion zippers are produced by this manufacturer each year.
9. Japan has a literacy rate of 99%.
10. Despite the above fact, Many hot springs and public bathhouses in Japan ban customers with tattoos from entering because they see it as a possible affiliation with gangs.
Lesser-known Facts About Japan
11. Japan consists of 6852 islands.
The 5 biggest islands in Japan are Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku, and Osaka, which make up about 97% of the total land area altogether.
While the largest island, Honshu, is considered mainland Japan.
12. Despite being one of the most developed Country, There is almost no immigration in Japan. The population is 98.5% ethnic Japanese.
13. With over 37 million people, The greater Tokyo area is the largest metropolitan area in the world.
14. Sometimes the trains in Japan are so crowded that railway staff is employed to cram passengers inside.
15. In Japan non-smoking areas are hard to find, even in family restaurants.
However, In April 2020, Tokyo was the first city in Japan to implement a smoking ban.
Dark Facts About Japan
16. Aokigahara forest, also known as the suicide forest, has the unfortunate distinction of the world’s second most popular place to take one’s life. (The first is the Golden Gate Bridge located in San Francisco, California)
Despite being the world’s second most popular place to take one’s life, it is considered the perfect place to die.
17. But if you commit suicide in Japan by jumping in front of a train, then the family of the deceased will be charged a disruption fee.
But which sane person commits suicide by jumping in front of a train instead of going to the Aokigahara forest, which is considered the perfect place to die.
18. Japan has just 2 gun-related homicides per year on average.
For comparison, gun-related homicides per day on average in the US is 106.
19. Japan’s birth rate is so low that adult diapers are sold more than baby diapers.
20. In fact, there are more pets than children in Japan.
Awesome Facts About Japan
21. The Japanese name for Japan, 日本, can be pronounced either Nihon or Nippon.
So, Japanese people call Japan either Nihon or Nippon.
22. Japan has more than 4 million vending machines offering anything, from soda to sex toys and even live crabs.
23. In Fact, for every 23 people there is a vending machine in Japan.
24. Square watermelons are grown by Japanese farmers for easier stacks and stores.
Moreover, these watermelons cost around $100.
25. Coffee is so popular in Japan that Japan imports approximately 80% of Jamaica’s annual coffee production.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading about 25 Amazing facts about Japan .
In case you’re interested in reading other articles:
And finally, I hope you have a great day.