Did you know? There are no homeless dogs in the Netherlands.
Mind-Blowing, isn’t it? With over 17 million people, the Netherlands is not only one of the best countries to travel or live in, but it is also a country filled with interesting facts that you should know.
Surprising facts about Netherlands
1. According to the World Health Organization, There are around 200 million stray dogs worldwide. Impressively, There are no homeless dogs due to strict laws against animal abuse.
2. Home births are very popular in the Netherlands. And account for 20% of all Dutch births.
3. When Dutch schoolchildren pass their exams, a Dutch flag and a school bag, are hung outside their homes.
4. There is a Dutch politician who has to be guarded 24/7 and lives at a secret address. He has been in his situation for 15 years, because of his constant criticism of Islam and Muslims. His name is Geert Wilders.
5. World’s first solar-powered bike lane. Dutch has a 70-meter Solar road that generates 70 kWh per square meter per year which is enough electricity to power a small household for a year.
Awesome facts about Netherlands
6. They keep closing prisons down due to a lack of criminals. They have not only closed 19 prisons since 2009 but also imported 240 prisoners from Norway to keep the facilities full!
7. The Dutch government not only takes care of its citizens but also its fellow beings residing in their country. Due to this, they have constructed over 6000 wildlife crossings for animals living in the forests.
8. The Netherlands has charging points for Electric cars every 50 km.
9. All of the electric trains in the Netherlands are powered by renewable energy. “One windmill running for one hour can power a train for 120 miles!” according to the Dutch national railway company.
10. The Dutch government has decided that Selling gasoline and diesel-powered cars will be banned. Only electric cars will be sold in the Netherlands from 2025.
Insane facts about Netherlands
11. Dutch men are the tallest in the world.
12. There are more bicycles than people here. 24% of the population uses cycles every day.
13. Houten in the Netherlands is a town where nobody drives cars. The town plan prioritizes pedestrians and cyclists over cars.
14. The Stock Market was born in the Netherlands.
15. The Rotterdam police employ rat detectives to sniff out drugs and explosives. It turns out that rats have an excellent sense of smell, and this method is faster than returning items to the lab. Furthermore, the first rats to join the Rotterdam police force were named Poirot, Derrick, Thomson and Thompson, and Magnum, after famous fictional detectives.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Awesome facts about the Netherlands.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
25 Awesome Brazil Facts That You May Not Know
20 Cool Iceland Facts That You May Not Know
25 Mind-Blowing Australia Facts
25 Mind-Blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder