Did you know? Horses can express their emotions through facial expressions, just like us.
Incredible, isn’t it? Horses are not only one of the most popular animals in the world. But they are also filled with several interesting facts that you should know.
Fun Facts about Horses
1. The average lifespan of a horse lasts from 25 to 30 years. However, Old Billy, the world’s oldest domestic horse, lived till the age of 62.
2. Baby horses can walk and even run after just a few hours of being born.
3. The heart of a horse is about the size of a basketball and typically weighs around 4 to 4.5 kg.
4. When horses reach adulthood, they have 40 teeth for males and 36 teeth for females. In both cases, teeth take up more space in their head than their brains. No wonder they get hurt in the dumbest possible way 😭
5. According to estimates, there are around 60 million horses in the world.
Interesting Facts about Horses
6. Unlike humans, It is impossible for a horse to vomit.
7. Don’t assume a horse is awake just because it’s standing up! These creatures can sleep standing or lying down.
8. A regular horse can top around 27 miles per hour. However, the fastest horse ever recorded could reach 55 miles per hour!
9. An average 500kg horse drinks around 30-50 liters a day. This amount may increase depending on the weather and the work it does.
10. Horses have the largest eyes of any land mammal.
Awesome Facts about Horses
11. Strangely enough, riding an ‘ugly horse’ is illegal in Wilbur, Washington. And You’ll be fined $300 if you do so.
12. Horses, like humans, can express their emotions through facial expressions.
Read More: 30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals that will Surprise you
13. There are over 300 horse breeds in the world.
14. The Shire named Sampson was the tallest horse ever recorded. He stood at a height of 21.2hh (7 feet, 2 inches).
On the other hand, Einstein, A tiny 14-inch pony from New Hampshire, Einstein, was recorded as the tiniest horse ever.
15. The red ribbon on its horse tail indicates that its kicker and any other riders should be careful not to crowd the horse, especially from behind.
Crazy Facts about Horses
16. You can estimate a horse’s age by its teeth.
17. Horses can’t burp, at least not the way humans do, and they can’t breathe through their mouths like humans do either.
18. The standard measurement for determining the height of a horse is called a hand, where one hand is equal to 4 inches.
19. It may be hard to swallow for Americans, but the truth is Horses Are Not Native to North America. In fact, Every horse on the North American continent is a decedent of European horses.
20. However, the American Quarter Horse is the Most Popular Breed horse breed in the world.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Mind-Blowing Horses facts for kids.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Cheetahs That You Didn’t Know
25 Scary and Awesome facts about Snakes that will surprise you
20 Awesome facts about Sharks that every diver should know