Did you know? Giraffes can survive on 5 to 30 minutes of sleep each day.
Incredible, isn’t it? With their towering height and signature long necks, giraffes are not only one of the most iconic creatures of Africa. But they are also filled with several weird and interesting facts that you would love to know.
Fun Facts about Giraffes
1. Giraffes are the tallest living land animals. While adult females can grow over 14 feet tall, adult males can reach over 18 feet.
2. Whereas, baby giraffes are born 6 feet tall and may grow an additional inch every day during their first week.
3. Newborns are welcomed to the world with a 1.5m drop to the ground! These infants are quick to get on their feet – within 30 minutes they are standing, and only hours later they will be able to run with their mothers.
4. Giraffes are very social animals and roam around in groups. These groups, called towers, typically have around 15 members led by an adult male. The other members are females and young males.
5. Giraffe tongues are bluish-purple in colour and measure 45 to 50 cm in length.
Interesting Facts about Giraffes
6. Giraffes have exceptionally strong hearts. Their hearts are about two feet long and weigh approximately 11 kilograms (almost 25 pounds). One Giraffe heart is equal to about 50 human hearts.
7. Because of the great distance between a giraffe’s heart and its brain due to the animal’s long neck its heart has evolved thick muscular walls. Thanks to these powerful walls, a giraffe’s blood pressure can be two times higher than many other animals. This helps the giraffe’s heart defy gravity and push blood up its long neck and into its brain.
Read More: 30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals that will Amaze You
8. Giraffe necks can grow to be about 6 feet long and weigh 600 pounds.
9. Male giraffes’ necks may also be used in fights over females and to establish a hierarchy within the herd.
10. Just like human fingerprints, no two giraffe have the same coat pattern.
Insane Facts about Giraffes
11. Giraffes are capable of sleeping only five minutes a day. Yep, giraffes can survive on 5 to 30 minutes of sleep each day which they get through a series of one to two-minute naps. Moreover, they can even get their rest while standing.
12. Just like Pandas, Giraffes spend 16 to 20 hours per day eating, leaving little time for anything else.
Read More: 15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Panda That You Probably Didn’t Know
13. And these guys have a huge appetite! They spend the majority of their time eating, and they can consume up to 45kg of leaves and twigs per day!
14. They can run as fast as 35 miles an hour over short distances, or cruise at 10 mph over longer distances.
15. Sadly, Giraffe populations are vulnerable and found only in sub-Saharan Africa.
And they are already extinct in at least seven countries in Africa.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Weird Giraffe facts for kids.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
25 Scary and Awesome facts about Snakes that will surprise you
15 Awesome facts about Octopus that will blow your Mind
15 Awesome Facts about Dogs that will make you love them even more
30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals