Welcome to the Golden State! From the towering redwoods of the north to the sun-kissed beaches of the south, California is a land of breathtaking natural beauty and endless possibilities. From the bustling streets of San Francisco to the laid-back vibe of Los Angeles, there’s something for everyone in this diverse and dynamic state.
Join us as we explore the best California facts, from the must-see landmarks and hidden gems. So pack your bags, grab your sunscreen, and let’s hit the road!
Fun Facts about California
1. California is the most populous state in the United States, with 39.9 million people as of 2019.
2. If it were a country, California would have the 8th largest economy in the world. And it would be the 35th most populous country.
3. Texas, New York, and California have economies bigger than Russia.
4. California is known for being the birthplace of the film industry, the hippie counterculture, the internet, and the personal computer.
5. LSD was legal in California until 1966, which explains a lot about the fashion choices of the 60s.
Surprising Facts about California
6. California has built more prisons than it has opened new universities since 1980.
7. California uses inmates to fight forest fires, this is a way to reduce their sentence and pay better than typical prison jobs.
8. Latinos now outnumber whites in California.
9. California produces 80% of the world’s almonds. We’re nuts about them.
10. The tallest tree and largest tree in the world are located in California.
Shocking Facts about California
11. It’s illegal to distribute “revenge porn” (videos or photos of your ex) in California since 2016.
12. Air pollution in China is known to increase snowfall in California.
13. Housing a prisoner in California costs more than a year at Harvard University.
14. California is home to around 40 million residents, which is about one-eighth of the U.S. population and more than the entire population of Canada.
15. During the summer months, the Sierra Nevada surprises visitors with its pink-tinted snow, which smells and tastes like watermelon.
16. California law requires certain entertainment websites like IMDB to remove an actor’s age or birthday upon request to fight discrimination.
17. California was named after a fictional island in a 16th-century romance novel.
18. A light bulb that hasn’t been turned off since 1901 still shines at a fire station in California.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Awesome California facts that you should know.
25 Mind-Blowing Australia Facts
20 Mind-Blowing Israel Facts That You Should Know
Crazy facts about China that you need to know
20 Mind-Blowing Ireland Facts That You May Not Know