Welcome to the land of noodle-slurping, karaoke-singing, and selfie-taking! Asia is a continent where you can find the world’s best street food. It is a place where temples and shrines coexist with theme parks and k-pop concert venues.
From the neon-lit cities of Tokyo to the tranquil rice paddies of Bali, where you can find peace, but also the occasional stray monkey stealing your lunch. Asia is a place of contrasts and extremes. Here, you can find everything from bustling metropolises to idyllic villages, and from ancient ruins to cutting-edge technology. So grab your chopsticks, and let’s embark on a culinary and cultural adventure through the heart of Asia!
Cool Facts about Asia
1. Asia covering 30% of Earth’s land is the home to 60% of the world’s population.
2. The name “Asia” itself is derived from the word for “sunrise” as the continent is located in the east, where the sun rises.
3. All five most practiced religions in the world, including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese folk religion, and Buddhism, have their roots in this continent.
4. Let’s talk about food, shall we? 90% of the world’s rice is consumed in Asia, so if you’re a rice lover, this is the place for you.
5. But be careful if you plan on partying because about 50% of Asians have trouble metabolizing alcohol thanks to a missing liver enzyme.
Interesting Facts about Asia
6. And if you’re ever in China, Thailand, or other Asian countries, don’t be surprised if you’re offered a plate of fried cockroaches. It’s a delicacy there.
7. But let’s not forget about the unique and quirky side of Asia. Have you ever heard of Auroville? It’s an experimental township in India where there’s no money or religion, and people from all over the world live together.
8. If you’re ever in Dubai and see firefighters flying around with jetpacks, don’t worry, they’re not superheroes, just using the latest technology to tackle blazes in high-rise buildings.
9. The world’s oldest continuous civilization is in Asia, specifically in China. It’s over 5,000 years old!
10. In Korea and Japan, visitors can enjoy a unique experience by visiting Cat Cafes, where they can spend time with cats while having a cup of coffee.
Surprising Facts about Asia
11. The world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, is located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It stands at a height of 828 meters.
12. The Taiping Rebellion in China, was led by a man who claimed to be Jesus’ brother, resulting in at least 20 million people’s deaths. Talk about a family feud!
13. Indonesia is home to the world’s largest Islamic population.
14. Papua New Guinea has the most languages spoken within a single country. There are over 820 living languages spoken in Papua New Guinea, which is more than in any other country in the world.
15. In 2016, an Indian bus driver became the first recorded person in modern history to be struck by a meteorite.
Shocking Facts about Asia
16. In Russia, there is a federal law that bans the promotion of “non-traditional sexual relationships” to minors, commonly referred to as the “gay propaganda law”.
17. The number of Chinese individuals killed by the Japanese during World War II is greater than the number of Jews killed during the Holocaust.
18. After the Vietnam War, farmers in the region creatively repurposed external fuel tanks from US aircraft to construct riverboats and canoes.
19. North Korea uses a calendar system that counts the years based on the birth of its founder, Kim II-Sung. In 2013, for example, it was the year 202.
20. Asia is home to the top 3 highest average IQs on the planet. They are Singapore, South Korea, and Japan.
Fun Facts about Asia
21. Asia is also home to the highest number of billionaires in the world, with China alone having more billionaires than the United States.
22. Stand in awe of the mighty peaks of Asia, including Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world at 8,848 meters above sea level.
23. And, 14 of the tallest mountains in the world can be found in Asia.
24. Contrary to popular belief, wild tigers can only be found in Asia, not Africa.
25. But unfortunately, the number of wild tigers has dropped from 100,000 a century ago to just 3,200 due to poaching.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 25 Awesome Asia facts.
Read More: 25 Mind-Blowing facts about Earth that everyone must know.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
Crazy facts about China that you need to know
25 Mind-Blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder