Did you know? Oil is cheaper than water in Venezuela.
Incredible, isn’t it? With over 28.2 million people, Venezuela is not only one of the best countries to travel to, but it is also a country filled with many interesting facts that you may be unaware of.
1-5 Fun Facts about Venezuela
1. Venezuela gets its name from the Italian word “Veneziola” (little Venice).
2. Oil is cheaper than water in Venezuela.
3. Venezuela is home to the highest uninterrupted waterfall in the world, Angel Falls. It is 17 times higher than Niagara.
4. Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela is the lightning capital of the world. Lightning storms occur for about 10 hours a night, 140 to 160 nights a year.
5. Mr. Beast isn’t the only one who surprises people when he hits a milestone on social media.
In 2012, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez rewarded his 3,000,000th Twitter follower, a 19-year-old girl, with a new home.
6-10 Interesting Facts about Venezuela
6. With over 141%, Venezuela had the world’s highest inflation rate in 2015.
7. Owing to the inflation, About 75% of the population of Venezuela lost at least 19 pounds in 2016. All this happened due to a lack of proper nutrition amid an economic crisis.
8. In 2017, US$10 made you a millionaire in Venezuelan local currency.
Read More: 20 Mind-Blowing Turkey Facts That You May Not Know
9. Venezuela’s inflation reached its highest point in 2018 at a staggering one million percent. At the time, experts estimated that a roll of toilet paper would cost about 2.6 million bolivars in Venezuela. The same roll of toilet paper would have cost 40 cents in US currency.
10. However, Full dollarization is also an option for Venezuela.
11-15 Crazy Facts about Venezuela
11. Venezuela was the first modern country to abolish the death penalty for all offenses in 1863.
12. Moreover, there is a Venezuelan prison that has a nightclub in it.
13. In 2015, Venezuela earned the title of the most murderous place on Earth, where one murder occurred every 21 minutes.
14. Venezuela won 7 times in the Miss Universe Pageant.
15. 4 in 100,000 Venezuelan men opt for penis enlargement surgery, the second highest rate in the world.
16-20 Cool Facts about Venezuela
16. Venezuela is home to the biggest rodent in the world, The capybara. They grow up to 2 ft tall and weigh more than 50 kg.
17. With 88% of Venezuelans associating with Christianity, It is the most dominant religion in the country.
18. The official motto of Venezuela is Dios y Federación, or “God and Federation.”
19. The Venezuelan currency got its name from its national hero, Simón Bolívar.
20. Spanish is the official language of Venezuela.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Awesome facts about the Venezuela that you should know.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
25 Mind-Blowing Australia Facts
20 Mind-Blowing Israel Facts That You Should Know
Crazy facts about China that you need to know
20 Mind-Blowing Greece Facts That You Should Know
25 Mind-Blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder