Iran is a country shrouded in mystery and misconception, often reduced to a handful of stereotypes and generalizations in the Western world. But beneath complex politics and long history lies a rich and fascinating culture, a dynamic society, and a land of stunning natural beauty. From its stunning architecture to its delicious cuisine, Iran has something to offer everyone. In this article, we will dive into some of the most-interesting and lesser-known facts about this enchanting country. So, get ready to explore the wonders of Iran and discover what makes it such a unique and captivating destination.
1-5 Fun Facts About Iran
1. Iranians are not Arabs, they’re Persians, and they speak Persian. So if you want to impress the locals, don’t bother practicing your “Habibi” or “Shukran” – learn how to say “salam” and “Khuda Hafez” instead.
2. Forget about TGIF – in Iran, it’s TGITF (Thank God It’s Thursday and Friday). That’s right, Iranians have a different weekend schedule, so don’t be surprised if your Iranian friends ask you to hang out on a Thursday night.
3. Thumbs-up or thumbs-down? In Iran, it’s thumbs-down. Giving a thumbs-up is equivalent to showing the middle finger.
4. Iran used to be known as Persia until 1935 when the king of Iran, Reza Shah, changed the country’s name to Iran, which means the land of Aryans.
5. Iran is not just the land of the Aryans. It’s also the “nose job capital of the world.”
6-10 Interesting Facts About Iran
6. Speaking of traditions, did you know that one of the oldest religions in the world, Zoroastrianism, originated in Iran? It’s true – Iran is home to some pretty ancient and fascinating beliefs.
7. Last but not least, if you want to be polite in Iran, avoid blowing your nose in public. It’s considered gross and rude, so try to find a private space (like a washroom) to do your business.
8. One of Iran’s ancient traditional sports that is recognized by UNESCO as part of its Intangible Cultural Heritage is the Pahlevani and Zoorkhanei rituals. In the past, this sport served as a traditional method of training warriors.
9. Move over guys, the ladies are taking over! Despite some restrictions for women, over 65% of university students in Iran are female. So, if you’re looking for a study buddy in Iran, chances are it’ll be a girl.
10. No booze? No problem! Alcohol has been illegal in Iran for 40 years, but that doesn’t stop some Iranians from getting their drink. Aragh Sagi, also known as “Persian vodka,” is a popular choice for those who like to live dangerously.
11-15 Surprising Facts About Iran
11. Four is not a crowd in Iran. Men are legally allowed to marry up to four wives.
12. Iran may not be the biggest country in the world, but it’s a heavyweight when it comes to oil. With 10% of the world’s oil reserves, Iran has a lot of black gold at its fingertips. The Persian Gulf might want to watch its back.
13. Love is love unless you’re in Iran. While same-sex unions are not allowed, sex-change operations are legal. So, if you’re feeling a little trapped in the wrong body, Iran might be the place for you.
14. Who knew eBay had Iranian roots? Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, is actually of Iranian descent.
15. When it comes to military power, Iran takes a two-pronged approach. The regular armed forces are one thing, but the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) takes things to a new level. So, if you’re thinking of starting a fight with Iran, you might want to think twice.
16-20 Insane Facts About Iran
16. Did you know that the Persian Longhair or Shiraz Cat, one of the most famous cat breeds in the world, originated in Iran? These fluffy felines have been winning hearts, and Instagram likes with their luxurious coats for centuries!
17. When it comes to sports, soccer is the name of the game in Iran. The national team has won the Asian Cup not once, not twice, but three times! They’ve also played in the World Cup Final three times.
18. Unfortunately, the Iranian women’s soccer team has faced some setbacks. In 2012, they were unable to play in an Olympics qualifier game because the International Federation of the Association of Football (FIFA) banned the hijab, which is mandatory for women in Iran to wear.
19. In the world of technology, the Iranian government has a love-hate relationship with the internet. In 2012, the police chief painted Google as a spying tool, and the government expressed a desire to create a national internet under state regulation.
20. In the literary world, Iran made headlines for putting a $600,000 bounty on the head of author Salman Rushdie. The reason? His book The Satanic Verses, which some in Iran saw as an insult to the Islamic faith. Talk about taking things a bit too far!
21-25 Shocking Facts About Iran
21. Iran is a predominantly Islamic country. 98% of the population follows Islam. Of those Muslims, 89% are Shia, and 9% are Sunni. Other minority religions include the Baha’i faith, Christianity, Judaism, and Zoroastrianism.
22. One of the most contentious issues in Iran is the country’s treatment of the LGBTQ+ community. Same-sex unions are prohibited in Iran, and those engaging in homosexual activity can face severe punishment, including imprisonment or even execution.
23. However, Iran does allow for sex-change operations.
24. Additionally, there are strict dress codes for women in Iran, with girls aged nine and above required to wear a hijab and cover their shoulders and legs in public. Violations of this dress code are punishable by lashing.
25. It is also worth noting that Iran has made some progress in reproductive rights, with Iranian citizens having access to free birth control pills, condoms, and even permanent sterilization. However, there are still significant issues in this area, including the fact that marital rape is not punishable by law in Iran.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 25 Interesting Iran Facts For Kids.
20 Mind-Blowing Azerbaijan Facts That You Should Know
15 Amazing Facts About Ghana That Will Surprise You
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Albania That You Need To Know
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Armenia That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Afghanistan That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Belgium That Will Amaze You
25 Surprising Facts About Human Brain That You Didn’t Know