Nestled in the Balkans, Albania is a small country with a rich history and unique cultural heritage. With its stunning landscapes, vibrant cities, and fascinating traditions, Albania is a country that always has something new and exciting to offer. In this article, we’ll explore the fascinating world of Albania and uncover some surprising and little-known facts. From its rich history and cultural heritage to its stunning beaches and breathtaking mountain ranges, get ready to be transported to the heart of the Balkans and discover all there is to know about Albania. So join us as we embark on a journey of discovery and learn what makes this country so special and captivating!
1-5 Fun Facts About Albania
1. Albania is a small nation with only 3 million citizens. In fact, More Albanians live outside Albania.
2. If you’re a fan of scenic hikes, Albania’s got you covered – 70% of the country is covered in majestic mountains!
3. Mother Teresa is Albania’s shining star, the only Nobel Prize winner the country has ever produced.
4. In 1967, Albania made history as the world’s first officially atheist state, with religion banned and violators facing jail time.
5. If you are looking for a McDonald’s while in Albania? Sorry, the country was isolated for so long that the fast food chain never made it there. But don’t worry. You can still chow down on some Dominoes or KFC.
6-10 Awesome Facts About Albania
6. Nature reigns supreme in Albania, with over 3,000 plant species found within its borders – that’s 30% of Europe’s entire plant collection!
7. Tirana is one of only two European capitals without a McDonald’s, the other being Vatican City.
8. Albania is also home to over 700,000 bunkers, built by former dictator Enver Hoxha to defend against invasions and withstand chemical or atomic attacks. Most remain underground and unused to this day.
9. Albania is one of the few Muslim countries in Europe, with 80% of the population practicing Islam.
10. If a baby pees on you in Albania, consider yourself lucky – it’s considered good luck in the culture!
11-15 Surprising Facts About Albania
11. The country has only one international airport, the Tirana International Airport “Mother Teresa,” serving as the main entry point for international travelers.
12. Albania is a green energy leader, producing 100% of its electricity through hydroelectric power, making it the world’s largest hydroelectricity producer!
13. In 2011, Albania ranked 6th in the world for its high literacy levels, making it a well-educated nation.
14. Fun fact: Albanians don’t call their country “Albania.” To them, it’s “Shqipëri,” meaning “The Land of Eagles.”
15. Albania is home to 91 endangered animal species, including the pygmy cormorant, Mediterranean monk seal, and Dalmatian pelican.
16-20 Interesting Facts About Albania
16. Before 1991, only Communist party workers were allowed to own cars in Albania. For its 3 million population, there were only 3,000 cars. But once Communism collapsed, the numbers skyrocketed, with Mercedes Benz being the most popular make of car, even among taxi drivers.
17. The oldest lake in Europe, Ohrid, can be found in Albania. The lake is a treasure trove of unique plant and animal species, and living fossils, and is protected by UNESCO.
18. Unfortunately, Albania has yet to bring home the gold from the Olympics, with no medals to their name.
19. Worried about safety in Albania? Don’t be! There’s something called a “code of Besa” in the country, which roughly translates to “to keep the promise.” Albanians have a strong code of honor to help those in need.
20. If you’re walking around Albanian residential areas, you might notice teddy bears or dolls on the fences or entrances of houses. It is a tradition meant to ward off any evil spirits.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Albania Facts For Kids.
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Afghanistan That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Belgium That Will Amaze You
25 Surprising Facts About Human Brain That You Didn’t Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts about Philippines That Will Amaze You
20 Mind-Blowing Vietnam war Facts That You Probably Didn’t Know