Welcome to the land of Slovakia, where the beer is cheaper than water, and the castles are older than your grandpa’s jokes. You might not know much about this little country nestled in the heart of Europe but fear not. Because we’ve got some mind-boggling facts that will make you say “Wait, what?!”. So buckle up and get ready to have your mind blown by some of the quirkiest, coolest, and most surprising facts about Slovakia.
1-5 Fun Facts About Slovakia
1. Did you know that Slovakia and Slovenia are so often mistaken for each other that they meet once a month to exchange wrongly addressed mail?
2. The 2005 horror film “Hostel” did serious damage to Slovakia’s tourism economy and reputation, portraying the country as a “crime-ridden, corrupt, lawless, poor, and dangerous” place. To clear up these false allegations, the director of the film, Eli Roth, was invited on an all-expenses-paid trip to Slovakia.
3. In Slovakia, it’s customary for men to whip women and throw water on them during Easter in exchange for the women serving drinks. The belief is that this will help the women stay beautiful and fresh for the coming year.
4. Slovakia is the only member state of the European Union without a mosque.
5. The peaceful separation of Czechoslovakia into two countries, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, in 1993 is often called the “Velvet Divorce.” It is the only non-violent split of an ex-Eastern Bloc nation.
6-10 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT CZECHOSLOVAKIA
6. The split of Czechoslovakia was not favored by the majority of the people, as only 36-37% of Czechs and Slovaks supported the dissolution.
7. When Czechoslovakia split, each country, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, were given one verse of the national anthem to use.
8. Czechoslovakian car maker Tatra sued Volkswagen before WWII because the original Beetle was so similar to the Tatra T97. However, when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia in 1938, the lawsuit was canceled by the Nazis, leaving Tatra no recourse.
9. During the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia by Warsaw Pact soldiers, road signs were removed or painted over in towns to confuse the invaders, except for those pointing towards Moscow.
10. Despite an agreement between the Czech Republic and Slovakia that forbids either successor state from using the flag of Czechoslovakia. However, Czechia (formerly known as the Czech Republic) has been illegally using the flag of the former country.
11-15 Surprising Facts About Slovakia
11. Slovakia boasts the highest concentration of castles per capita in the world. With just under 5.5 million inhabitants, the country has a staggering 180 castles and 425 chateaux.
12. Despite centuries of intensive exploitation, Slovakia’s forests still cover 40% of the country’s surface area.
13. Slovakia is home to an impressive 20 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, ranging from historic town centers and castles to natural reserves and caves. Whether you’re a history buff or a nature lover, there’s something for everyone to discover.
14. After Austria, Slovakia has the largest-natural freshwater supplies.
15. Unfortunately, an adult Slovakian person smokes an average of 117 cigarettes a month, which is a concerning statistic.
16-20 Cool Facts About Slovakia
16. Football, ice hockey, and tennis are the most popular sports in Slovakia, with the highest viewership rates.
17. According to the World Health Organization, Slovakia is among the top 10 nations with the highest alcohol consumption rates, with the average adult consuming the equivalent of 13 liters of pure alcohol per year. Belarus tops the list with 17.5 liters per capita.
18. The majority of Slovaks identify as Christians, with Roman Catholics representing 62% of the population, Greek Catholics 4%, and Protestants 6%.
19. The Slovakian national anthem, “Nad Tatrou sa blýska,” is one of the few national anthems in the world that does not mention the country’s name.
20. Slovakia boasts over 6,000 caves, including some of the most extensive and stunning caves in Europe, such as the Demänovská Cave of Liberty and the Ochtinská Aragonite Cave.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Slovakia Facts For Kids.
10 Surprising Facts About Malta That Will Blow Your Mind
20 Mind-Blowing Saudi Arabia Facts That Will Surprise You
15 Mind-Blowing Lebanon Facts That Will Surprise You
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Morocco That Will Surprise You
15 Mind-Blowing Dominican Republic Facts That Will Surprise You