Ladies and Gentlemen, fasten your seat belts and get ready for a wild ride through the fascinating world of Philippine facts! From the sizzling beaches to the bustling cities, this island nation is a true gem in Southeast Asia, and it has plenty of quirks and surprises to keep you entertained. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or just a curious cat, join us as we uncover some of the most hilarious facts about the Philippines that you never knew existed. So grab a bowl of adobo, sit back, and prepare to have your mind blown by the wonders of this country!
1-5 Awesome Facts about Philippines
1. The Philippines has a unique form of entertainment, Spider fighting, which is wildly popular among the youth and is just like a high-stakes game of Pokémon.
2. July 4th is a big day in the Philippines. It’s the day they finally told the US to “sayonara” and became an independent nation.
3. A quirky American-themed restaurant called ArmyNavy-Burgers and Burritos is famous in the Philippines and serves Freedom Fries, Freedom Toast, and LiberTea.
4. During the 2009 floods in the Philippines, a brave teenager named Muelmar Magallanes became a hero as he jumped into the rushing waters to save his family and others, including a trapped mother and baby, and performed this brave act until he was exhausted and swept away.
5. The Philippines has its version of Ketchup called Banana Ketchup, created during WW2 to overcome the shortage of tomatoes.
6-10 Insane Facts about Philippines
6. In 1993, Pepsi ran a contest in the Philippines and promised 1 million pesos to the lucky person who found the number 349 inside their bottle cap. Little did they know, they printed 800,000 winning caps! Whoopsie! The outrage led to death threats to Pepsi executives.
7. The Philippines has seen some tragedy, with as many as a dozen people being shot to death while singing Frank Sinatra songs at karaoke bars between 2000-2010. This grim phenomenon is known as the “My Way Killings“, and it’s enough to make you think twice about belting out “New York, New York”.
8. If you’re a politician, be extra careful! The Philippines is one of the deadliest places for politicians, with over 1200 political assassinations in the last decade.
9. The Philippines flag is like a mood ring for the nation, changing colors to reflect the mood of the land. Red is on top for war, blue on top if it is for peace.
10. In the Philippines, a 40-year-old bloody conflict between two villages was resolved, when the women of the villages threatened to refuse s*x to the men if they continued fighting. Within two weeks, the conflicts disappeared.
11-15 Amazing Facts about Philippines
11. The Philippines is not just a land of sunshine and beaches. It’s also the gin capital of the world, accounting for 43% of the world’s gin consumption! Bottoms up!
12. One power plant’s cooling pipes caused a nationwide blackout, and people feared a possible coup. Little did they know, it was just 50 dump trucks worth of jellyfish!
13. American soldiers got creative when it came to deterring suicide attackers from the Moro Muslim group. They wrapped them in pig skin to make them unfit for heaven.
14. In the Philippines, even your license plate tells you when you can drive. Mondays, if your plate ends in 1 or 2, it’s a stay-at-home day for you. Better check before hitting the road!
15. In the 1970s, the Philippine government pulled off a wild card by creating a “stone-age” tribe and kept the ruse going for ten years! Talk about a well-orchestrated lie!
16-20 Surprising Facts about Philippines
16. In the Philippines, if you catch your spouse and their lover in the act, it’s legal to kill them. Just make sure your daughter is over 18 or living elsewhere, or else she’s fair game too! And if you’re wondering, your son is safe.
17. The Philippines is a shopper’s paradise, with 24 of the 100 largest shopping malls in the world located there. Talk about retail therapy!
18. The Beatles learned the hard way to watch what they say in the Philippines, as their accidental insult to the dictatorship in 1966 led to a swift change in public opinion. And they barely escaped with their police escorts removed.
19. The Philippines is an archipelago consisting of a whopping 7,641 islands! And just in 2017, they discovered and added 534 more!
20. With a population of 110 million, it’s not surprising that 11% of Filipinos migrate to foreign countries to make a better life. They are the second-largest population of Asian Americans in the US, Following closely behind the Chinese, of course!
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Facts about Philippines that you should know.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
20 Surprising Facts about John F. Kennedy That Will Amaze You
30 Unbelievable Facts About Life That Will Amaze You
20 Heart Warming Facts About Love That You Should Know
40 Shocking Psychology Facts That You Need To Know
25 Surprising Facts About Human Brain That You Didn’t Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Human Body
Comments are closed.