Nestled in the heart of Central America, El Salvador may be the smallest country in the region, but it’s big on culture, history, and natural beauty. From its stunning beaches and volcanoes to its fascinating indigenous heritage and recent tumultuous history, there’s a lot to discover about this tiny nation. Whether you’re planning a trip to El Salvador or simply curious to learn more, this article will take you on a journey through some of the most-interesting and surprising El Salvador facts that will leave you wanting to explore this country further.
1-5 Fun Facts About El Salvador
1. El Salvador might be the smallest country in Central America, but it’s also the most packed one!
2. They speak Spanish there, so if you want to impress the locals, you better brush up on your “hola” and “adios.”
3. El Salvador is known for its volcanic landscapes, with over 20 volcanoes in the country, some of which are still active.
4. The name “El Salvador” translates to “the Savior” in Spanish.
5. El Salvador has the highest murder rate in the world.
6-10 Interesting Facts About El Salvador
6. In 1969, Salvadoran troops engaged in a brief but infamous “100 Hour War” with neighboring Honduras after a soccer game.
7. The Torogoz bird is a local celebrity and the national bird of El Salvador. It’s known for its vibrant and colorful feathers that are bound to make any other bird jealous.
8. The country’s flag features two blue stripes that represent the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. And the white stripe symbolizes peace.
9. El Salvador is in the Ring of Fire, an area known for frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity.
10. With temperatures ranging from 25 to 30 degrees Celsius, The country enjoys a warm and tropical climate.
11-15 Awesome Facts About El Salvador
11. Salsa is the national dance of El Salvador.
12. The country’s Day of the Dead holiday is observed on November 2nd and is a time to commemorate loved ones who have passed away.
13. The nation’s struggle for independence was shaped by José Matías Delgado, a priest, and revolutionary. He is the national hero of the country.
14. The currency was named after him and was formerly known as the colón.
15. However, the US dollar replaced it as the official currency in 2001.
16-20 Surprising Facts About El Salvador
16. The Salvadoran Civil War, which lasted from 1980 to 1992, resulted in over 75,000 deaths and had a significant impact on the country’s politics and society.
17. Education up to ninth grade is provided free of charge in El Salvador.
18. Despite participating in several Olympic Games, the country has never won a medal.
19. It is also known as the Land of Volcanoes.
20. The country’s minimum wage ranges from US $100-250 per month.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting El Salvador Facts For Kids.
20 Mind-Blowing Bahamas Facts That You Should Know
20 Amazing Facts About Bangladesh That Will Blow Your Mind
30 Mind-Blowing Costa Rica Facts That You Should Know
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Belarus That You Should Know