Welcome to the land of lush greenery, bustling cities, and vibrant culture – Bangladesh! Nestled in the heart of South Asia, this small yet mighty country is a melting pot of diversity and history, boasting a rich tapestry of customs and traditions. From its mouth-watering cuisine to its world-renowned textiles, Bangladesh has plenty to offer for anyone curious enough to explore its many wonders. Join us on a journey as we uncover fascinating Bangladesh facts that will leave you amazed and eager to learn more about this captivating country.
1-5 Amazing Facts About Bangladesh
1. The word Bangladesh means “the people of Bengal” in the local Bangla language.
2. Bangladesh was a part of Pakistan, but in 1971 it broke up with Pakistan like a couple in a bad romantic movie. It was a messy situation, but luckily India was there to back Bangladesh up. And they finally got their independence on March 26th. It was like a big national breakup that ended up for the best.
3. Bangladesh has a pretty awesome national anthem called “My Golden Bengal.” It was written in 1905 by Rabindranath Tagore, who was a total boss in the poetry game.
4. When you think of beaches, you might think of Hawaii or Bali, but did you know that Bangladesh has the third-longest beach in the world? It’s called Cox’s Bazar Beach, and it offers 75 miles of uninterrupted sandy beach. That’s a lot of sand, folks!
5. If you’re into nature, you gotta check out the Sundarbans mangrove forest in Bangladesh. It’s the largest in the world, covering a mind-blowing 140,000 hectares. And it’s protected by Unesco, so you know it’s the real deal.
6-10 Interesting Facts About Bangladesh
6. Bangladesh is the land of rivers. Approximately 700 rivers flow through the country.
7. Bangladesh has six seasons! Yep, you heard that right. They have Summer, Monsoon, Autumn, Late Autumn, Winter, and Spring.
8. The national animal of Bangladesh is the Royal Bengal tiger, and it’s pretty impressive! This big cat can roar so loud that it can be heard up to 3 km away.
9. Did you know that Bangladesh has a bigger economy than Pakistan? That’s right! Bangladesh’s GDP is $411 billion, while Pakistan’s is $347 billion, making Bangladesh the 33rd largest economy in the world.
10. Religion plays a big role in Bangladesh, with almost 90% of the population following Islam. Hinduism comes in second with around 9%, while other religions like Christianity and Buddhism make up the remaining 1%.
11-15 Fun Facts About Bangladesh
11. When it comes to population density, Bangladesh is right up there with the most densely populated countries in the world. With 1,265 people per kilometer, it’s the 6th most densely populated country globally.
12. Thanks to their rich vegetarian diet, Bangladesh is one of the least obese countries in the world! It’s the second country with the lowest level of adult obesity, after Vietnam.
13. Unfortunately, Bangladesh has also been the site of some pretty notorious heists. In 2016, there was a massive central bank money heist, where hackers tried to steal around US$1 billion through the SWIFT network. Yikes!
14. The national sport of Bangladesh is Kabaddi.
15. Did you know that Bangladesh is the country with the highest level of gender equality in South Asia? That’s something to be proud of! Plus, it ranks third in the region for peacefulness and life expectancy.
16-20 Insane Facts About Bangladesh
16. The population of Bangladesh has grown massively in recent years, from 44 million in 1951 to a whopping 163 million in 2016.
17. Bangladesh is also home to around 300,000 Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
18. Agriculture is a lifeline of Bangladesh, with around 70% of the population being farmers. It’s the largest employment sector in the country, even though the textile industry generates more revenue.
19. Speaking of the textile industry, did you know that 96% of the country’s revenue from exports comes from clothing and textiles? That’s a lot of clothes!
20. On a sadder note, Bangladesh highly in statistics about corruption. In 2017, it ranked 143rd among the least corrupt countries in the world.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Bangladesh Facts For Kids.