Did you know? During the 1950s, the USA considered detonating a nuclear bomb on the Moon.
Interesting, isn’t it? With so many things happening on Earth, we often forget how awesome our natural satellite is. So, In this post, we are gonna go through 25 Mind-Blowing Moon facts that will help you realize how cool and awesome Moon is.
Fun Facts about Moon
1. Many scientists believe that the existence of our moon was the result of a clash between Earth’s debris colliding with that of another space object about the size of Mars.
2. The Moon is not an ideal sphere. It’s shaped more like an lemon because of the gravity of Earth.
3. The Moon is the closest planet satellite to the Sun.
4. With an average diameter of 3,474.8 kilometers (2,159 miles), the Moon is the 5th largest satellite in the Solar system after Jupiter’s satellites Ganymede, Callisto, and Lo, and Saturn’s Titan.
5. During the 1950s, the USA considered detonating a nuclear bomb on the Moon, which would help answer some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology.
Interesting Facts about Moon
6. The Sun is about 400 times bigger than the Moon, but miraculously, it is also 400 times farther from us. That’s why they seem to be equal in dimensions when viewed from the surface of Earth.
7. Although the Moon appears to be very bright, its ability to reflect sunlight is three times less than that of the Earth. That’s why, in combined photos, they artificially brighten the Moon.
8. It would take 300,000 Moons to produce the same amount of light at night as there is in the afternoon.
Furthermore, approximately 206,000 of them would need to be full moons.
9. Every year, the Moon drifts 1.5 inches farther away from us. At first, it was about 14,000 miles from Earth, and now it is almost 250,000 miles.
10. The Moon influences high and low tides on Earth.
The gravitational influence of the Moon has this effect on the oceans. The highest tides can be seen during a full or new Moon.
Facts about Moon characteristics
11. There is no wind, no clouds, no rain, no snow, and no storms on the moon. And extreme temperature differences depending on where the sun shines.
12. Near the lunar equator, daytime temperatures reach a scorching 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius, 400 degrees Kelvin), while nighttime temperatures plummet to a freezing -208 degrees Fahrenheit (-130 degrees Celsius, 140 degrees Kelvin).
13. One Moon day is equal to about 29 Earth days.
14. Owing to the fact that Moon takes the same time to rotate around its axis, as to orbit around the Earth, We always see the same side of the Moon.
15. It was only in 1959 that people could finally see the other side of the Moon, thanks to a photo taken by the Russian spacecraft “Luna 3”.
Insane Facts about Moon
16. On July 20th, 1969, humans were able to close that distance with the American spaceflight mission Apollo 11. It placed humans on the moon for the very first time. Bringing our understanding of Earth’s only natural satellite one step closer.
17. Smartphones today are more powerful than the computers that landed the “Apollo” spacecraft on the Moon in 1969.
18. Water exists on the Moon, but don’t bring your straw. Because it’s all frozen in the craters and beneath the surface.
19. The gravity of the Moon is only 1/6 that of the Earth.
20. Standing on the Moon’s surface, if you weigh 100 pounds here, you’ll only weigh 17 pounds, and you will also be able to walk for six times more.
Awesome Facts about Moon
21. Moon is the only place beyond Earth where humans have set foot.
22. There are 200 tons of space junk on the Moon.
23. And So far, 12 humans were able to set their foot on the moon, with Neil Armstrong being the first to do so.
The Apollo astronauts returned to Earth with 842 pounds (382 kilograms) of lunar rocks and soil. We’re still looking into it.
24. The Moon’s presence aids in the stabilization of our planet’s wobble and the regulation of our climate.
25. The Moon’s weak atmosphere and its lack of liquid water cannot support life as we know it.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading about 25 Awesome Moon facts for kids.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
15 Mind-Blowing Jupiter Facts That You Probably Didn’t Know
30 Mind-Blowing Space facts that will amaze you
25 Mind-Blowing facts about Earth that everyone must know