Did you know? Less than 5% of the Earth’s oceans have been explored.
Interesting, isn’t it? With so many things happening on land, we often forget how big the ocean and life below us are. So, In this post, we are gonna go through 15 Mind-Blowing ocean facts to remind us how great the oceans are.
Insane Facts about Ocean
1. With 25,000 islands lying within it, the Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean and has more islands than anywhere else on the planet.
2. The oceans cover 71% of the Earth’s surface and contain 97% of the Earth’s water. But, Less than 1% is freshwater, and 2-3% is in the form of glaciers and ice caps (and is decreasing).
3. Scientists estimate that 50-80% of the oxygen production on Earth comes from the ocean.
The majority of this Oxygen production comes from oceanic plankton, drifting plants, algae, and some bacteria that can photosynthesize.
Read more: 25 Mind-Blowing facts about Earth that everyone must know.
4. Less than 5% of the Earth’s oceans have been explored.
5. With 25,000 islands lying within it, the Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean and has more islands than anywhere else on the planet.
Unbelievable Facts about Ocean
6. Stretching across a distance of 65,000 kilometers, the Mid-Ocean Ridge, Earth’s longest chain of mountains, is almost entirely beneath the ocean. Sadly, It’s said that this mountain chain is less explored than the surface of Venus or Mars.
7. According to CBS News, more than half of the United States exists underwater. If you are wondering how? Simple! The borders of the United States don’t stop where the land ends; they expand 200 nautical miles away from shore.
Read more: 25 Lesser-known facts about the USA that you should know
8. The deepest known area of the Earth’s oceans is known as the Mariana Trench. Its deepest point measures 6.83508miles(11km).
9. In human history, one dozen people have set foot on the moon, but only three people were able to make it to the Mariana Trench because of the extreme conditions there.
10. From the Titanic to Santa Maria, the oceans are home to around three million shipwrecks.
Due to these millions of shipwrecks, thee are estimations that there are more treasures on the bottom of the ocean than in all the world’s museums combined.
Amazing Facts about Ocean
11. A large iceberg from Antarctica contains more than 20 billion gallons of water, which could conceivably supply one million people with drinking water for 5 years.
Moreover, A company in the United Arab Emirates is actually planning to begin towing icebergs from Antarctica to the coast for exactly this reason.
12. There are now 240,470 accepted species in water bodies, according to the World Register of Marine Species.
But still, this is just a small proportion of the species that exist, with new marine life being discovered every day.
Read more: 30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals that will Amaze you
13. According to Conservation International, Human dump eight million metric tons of plastic into oceans every year. This means that, in a little less than 30 years, there will be more tons of plastic in the ocean than fish.
14. The Southern Ocean is the home of Emperor Penguins and Wandering Albatrosses.
15. With so many things happening on land, we often forget how big the life below us is. In fact, 94% of life is aquatic, according to the USA Science & Engineering Festival. So, we are part of a very, very small minority.
Bonus fact: Many fish can change sex during their lives.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading about 15 Mind-Blowing facts about Ocean that everyone must know.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
25 Lesser-known facts about the USA
Crazy facts about China that you need to know
25 Mind-Blowing Facts about South Korea that you need to know