Did you know? A day on Venus is longer than a year on Venus.
Interesting, isn’t it? With so many things happening on Earth, we often forget how awesome other planets in our solar system are. So, In this post, we are gonna go through 15 Mind-Blowing Venus facts that will help you realize how cool and awesome Venus is.
Fun Facts about Venus
1. The planet Venus is named after the ancient Roman goddess of beauty, Venus.
2. Venus is the second planet from the sun and has long been considered Earth’s twin sister. It is about the same size as Earth, just slightly smaller.
Venus structure is also nearly identical, with an iron core, a hot mantle, and a rocky crust.
3. But up close, it’s a very different world.
Venus has a thick layered atmosphere. It’s full of clouds that rain sulfuric acid and whip around the planet at speeds up to 224 miles per hour. Faster than some category five hurricanes.
4. The atmosphere of Venus is made of greenhouse gases, primarily carbon dioxide.
These create an extreme case of global warming, causing surface temperatures to rise over a scorching 470 degrees Celsius (880 degrees Fahrenheit), Making Venus the hottest planet in the solar system.
5. Also, the surface pressure on Venus is heavy enough to crush humans standing on Venus’ surface.
Interesting Facts about Venus
6. Venus is so inhospitable that neither humans nor spacecraft can survive the planet’s surface.
7. But some scientists speculate that Venus wasn’t always so unwelcoming.
From roughly 2.9 billion to 715 million years ago, global temperatures on Venus may have been just a few degrees cooler than Earth’s are today. And scientists theorize that the surface may have contained shallow oceans that could have held enough water to support life.
8. Today, life may still exist in Venus’ atmosphere. About 30 miles up in Venus’ clouds, where the temperature and surface pressure are similar to those on the surface of Earth, scientists have observed strange dark streaks that appear to be absorbing ultraviolet radiation. A phenomenon that could be evidence of microbial life.
9. But on the bright side, even though life may struggle on Venus, it is the same unforgiving environment that has made Venus an icon of beauty.
It reflects 70% of the sunlight that reaches the planet, which is why Venus shines more brightly than any other planet or star in the night sky.
10. According to astronomers, Venus hosts more than 1,600 volcanoes, the highest for any planet in our solar system.
Amazing Facts about Venus
11. Since, Venus rotates very slowly on its axis, One day on Venus lasts 243 Earth days. However, the planet orbits the Sun faster than Earth and one year on Venus takes only about 225 Earth days, making a Venusian day longer than its year!
12. Moreover, unlike the other planets in our solar system, Venus spins clockwise on its axis.
13. The fact that the climate on Venus isn’t welcome to men and women doesn’t mean that it’s not also welcome to human creations. Thus, the hot planet has been visited and explored by more than 40 spacecraft from Earth.
14. On Dec. 15, 1970, Venera 7 was the first spacecraft to make a soft landing on Venus. The Soviet spacecraft transmitted information for 23 minutes on the surface before succumbing to the planet’s extreme heat and hurricane-force winds.
15. And NASA’s new probe aims to last up to 60 days on the hellish Venusian surface.
hat’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading about 15 Awesome Venus facts for kids.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles: