Nestled on the northeastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula lies a tiny but mighty nation that has captured the world’s attention: Qatar. Despite its small size, Qatar is a country that packs a punch, boasting a wealth of unique and fascinating facts that will leave you amazed. From its vibrant culture and stunning natural landscapes to its modern infrastructure and luxurious lifestyle, Qatar is a country that is truly one-of-a-kind. Join us as we delve into some of the most-interesting and surprising facts about this nation.
1-5 Interesting Facts About Qatar
1. Did you know that only 12% of the population in Qatar are Qatari citizens? That’s right, the rest are migrant laborers, mainly from South Asia. It is an ex-pat hub!
2. Qatar was one of only seven countries to vote against the setting up of the International Criminal Court. But hey, at least they weren’t alone, as China, Iraq, Israel, Libya, the United States of America, and Yemen were in the same boat.
3. Qatar is the only country that starts with a Q, and Iraq is the only one that ends with one.
4. If you thought your relationship drama was bad, wait till you hear this. In 2017, a Qatar Airways plane had to make an emergency landing after a woman used her sleeping husband’s thumb to unlock his phone and discovered he was cheating on her. Yikes!
5. Here’s a sad fact. Due to the high rate of consanguineous marriage (inbreeding), the country has a 5.2% hereditary hearing loss rate.
6-10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Qatar
6. As of December 2020, men outnumber women in Doha by about three to one, with just 811,600 women in a population of 2,846,118.
7. In the past, children were used as jockeys in horse races in Qatar, but since it was deemed too dangerous for kids, robots have been used since 2004 to take their place.
8. The Doha Marriott features a 100-meter-long buffet line offering various cuisines, including a full English breakfast, sushi, and tacos. It is like a food marathon for your taste buds.
9. 99% of the Qatari population resides in the capital city of Doha. It’s like one big family gathering, except with more skyscrapers and less awkward small talk.
10. The national animal is the Arabian Oryx.
11-15 Fun Facts About Qatar
11. But hey, if you’re a citizen of Qatar, at least you get some freebies. Free electricity, water, and phone lines, anyone?
12. And if you’re a traveler, you might be pleased to know that according to the Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021, Hamad International Airport is the best airport in the world. So, there’s that.
13. Qatar is considered the safest country in the world.
14. The workweek in Qatar starts on Sunday and ends on Thursday, with weekends on Fridays and Saturdays.
15. The ruling family of Qatar, The House of Thani, has been in power since 1868.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Interesting Qatar Facts For Kids.
15 Awesome Facts About Lithuania That Will Blow Your Mind
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Luxembourg That You Should Know
20 Interesting Facts About Hungary That Will Blow Your Mind
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Cambodia That You Should Know