Welcome to the land of ancient temples, vibrant culture, and natural beauty – Cambodia! Located in Southeast Asia, Cambodia is a country with a rich and fascinating history that has captivated visitors for centuries. From its magnificent Angkor Wat temple complex to its pristine beaches, Cambodia offers a unique blend of ancient and modern experiences that are sure to enchant and delight. Whether you’re interested in learning about its Khmer Empire heritage, trying its delicious cuisine, or exploring its vibrant arts scene, Cambodia has something for everyone. So, come with us as we uncover fascinating Cambodian facts that will leave you amazed and eager to discover more about this country.
1-5 Interesting Facts about Cambodia
1. Angkor Wat is not your average religious structure. It’s a massive complex covering a whopping 1,626,000 square meters or 400 acres! It’s so huge that the second-largest religious complex in the world, Sri Ranganathaswamy, could fit inside it twice!
2. Angkor Wat has gone through a religious transformation over the years. From being a Hindu temple initially, it gradually morphed into a Buddhist temple by the end of the 12th century.
3. Cambodia takes Buddhism seriously, with approximately 95 percent of the population practicing the religion.
4. If you’re in Cambodia and looking for a McDonald’s, you’re out of luck! The fast-food giant has yet to establish its roots in this country, but hey, at least they have Burger King, right?
5. Weddings in Cambodia are no joke. They last for three days of non-stop festivities! Sure, the length of celebrations depends on financial circumstances.
6-10 Fun about Cambodia
6. Cambodians don’t celebrate their birthdays, but that doesn’t mean they don’t know how to party! They make up for it with their three-day weddings and other celebrations.
7. Funerals in Cambodia are serious affairs and can last up to 49 days with an average cost of USD 9,000. That’s a lot of money, especially when you consider that the average monthly income in Cambodia is just over USD 100! Families often have to pool together their savings to cover the expenses of a proper funeral.
8. When Vietnam invaded Cambodia, the Cambodian king had an ace up his sleeve – a beautiful woman! She must have been something because she managed to convince not one, but two Vietnamese commanders to withdraw their troops. Talk about girl power!
9. In Cambodia and Angola, they held a competition titled “Miss Landmine,” aimed at finding the most attractive woman maimed by an explosive. The competition aim was to promote awareness of the issue and empower the participants.
10. In the 1970s, the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia targeted academics and individuals wearing eyeglasses for execution.
11-15 Insane Facts about Cambodia
11. Aki Ra, a former Khmer Rouge child soldier, has dedicated his life to clearing landmines and aiding young victims in Cambodia. Since 1992, he has personally dismantled and destroyed approximately 50,000 landmines and established the Cambodian Landmine Museum.
12. During the Khmer Rouge’s four-year rule from 1975 to 1979, approximately 2 million people were killed, constituting one-fifth of the population. In 1977, the average life expectancy in Cambodia was only 18.91 years.
13. Due to the genocide that occurred from 1975 to 1979, up to 63% of Cambodia’s current population is under 30 years old.
14. The United States also bombed Cambodia from 1963 to 1973 during the Vietnam War.
15. “Angkor Wat,” the renowned temple complex in Cambodia, translates to “Temple City” or “City of Temples” in the Khmer language.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Interesting Cambodia Facts For Kids.
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Malaysia That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Singapore That You Should Know
10 Surprising Facts About Croatia That Will Blow Your Mind
20 Mind-Blowing Ukraine Facts That Will Surprise You