Welcome to the diverse and vibrant country of Malaysia! Situated in Southeast Asia, Malaysia is a land of stunning natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and mouthwatering cuisine. From its bustling cities to its pristine beaches, Malaysia offers a unique blend of ancient and modern experiences that are sure to captivate and delight. Whether you’re interested in exploring its lush rainforests, immersing yourself in its diverse cultures, or indulging in its delicious food, Malaysia has something for everyone. So, come with us as we uncover fascinating Malaysian facts that will leave you amazed and eager to discover more about this captivating country.
1-5 Fun Facts About Malaysia
1. Malaysia’s population is a real melting pot! Malays make up only half of the population, while the rest are Chinese, Indians, and other indigenous groups.
2. The monarchy in Malaysia is a bit like a game of musical chairs, but with kings! Nine different Malay state rulers take turns being kings for a five-year term. Talk about sharing the crown!
3. Gunung Mulu National Park on Borneo Island is home to the Sarawak Cave Chamber, the largest cave chamber in the world. It is so vast that it could fit 40 Boeing 747s without the planes overlapping their wings. That’s one epic underground parking lot.
4. Malaysia has four UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
5. Malaysia is a pretty-popular place, ranking as the 15th most-visited country.
6-10 Scary Facts About Malaysia
6. Caning is a legal punishment in Malaysia, with a maximum of 24 strokes allowed. However, women and boys under ten, and men over 50 are exempt, except when charged with rape.
7. Prison officers in Singapore and Malaysia receive special training to administer corporal punishment, including how to swing the cane at a minimum speed of 160 kph and produce a force upon the impact of at least 90kg.
8. Singapore was a part of Malaysia from 1963 to 1965 but was expelled due to economic and political tensions between different cultural groups. Malaysia’s name did not change after the separation, despite one theory suggesting that the “si” in Malaysia refers to Singapore.
9. Blowjobs are illegal in Malaysia and can lead to imprisonment for up to 20 years.
10. In the Malaysian state of Kelantan, they’re serious about keeping it PG in the movie theaters. In 1997, they decided to leave the lights on to discourage cuddling and kissing.
11-15 Interesting Facts About Malaysia
11. Did you know that there was a bill proposed to change the name of the Philippines to Malaysia? Unfortunately, Malaysia took it first, so it never happened.
12. Even Malaysians need a passport when traveling between certain states in Malaysia.
13. Even astronauts in Malaysia have to make sure they’re facing Mecca when they pray! Islamic scholars even spent a year figuring out how the country’s first astronaut could do so in space.
14. In Malaysia, the number four is like the Voldemort of numbers. Some buildings don’t even have a fourth floor. But instead, have a floor 3A! It’s like a real-life game of “the floor is lava.”
15. Malaysia doesn’t mess around when it comes to self-esteem. Toyota Altis ads featuring Brad Pitt were banned in Malaysia after the country’s deputy information minister ruled that Pitt’s handsome appearance may make Malaysian countrymen feel inferior.
16-20 Awesome Facts About Malaysia
16. Did you know that the movie Zoolander is banned in Malaysia? It’s like they’re trying to protect the country’s fashion industry from being overshadowed by Derek Zoolander’s infamous Blue Steel.
17. Malaysia has chicken beauty pageants where chickens are judged on their appearance, confidence, and style, with prizes as high as $10,000! It’s like the Miss Universe competition, but with feathers and clucking.
18. Malaysia and Singapore are the only two countries in the world that are allowed to travel to North Korea without a visa.
19. The famous shoe designer Jimmy Choo was born in Malaysia.
20. The Colobopsis saundersi, a species of ant found in Malaysia and Brunei, can explode suicidally and aggressively as an ultimate act of defense. It’s like the ant version of a kamikaze pilot.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Malaysia Facts For Kids.
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Singapore That You Should Know
10 Surprising Facts About Croatia That Will Blow Your Mind
20 Mind-Blowing Ukraine Facts That Will Surprise You
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Angola That You Should Know