Syria is a country that has been in the headlines for years due to its complex and devastating conflict. From the rise of ISIS to the ongoing civil war, Syria has been at the center of international attention for its political turmoil, humanitarian crises, and geopolitical significance. But Syria is also a land of great historical and cultural richness, with ancient cities, stunning landscapes, and diverse communities that have been shaped by centuries of history and tradition. In this article, we will explore both the dark and bright sides of Syria, shedding light on its current challenges as well as its rich cultural heritage.
1-5 Awesome Facts About Syria
1. Gene Roddenberry, the genius behind Star Trek, once survived a plane crash in the Syrian desert, where he broke two ribs. But that didn’t stop him from being a hero! He bravely went back into the burning plane multiple times to save passengers and even organized search teams to find help. Talk about a real-life Captain Kirk!
2. In 1933, yo-yos were banned in Syria because some locals believed they caused a drought. Who knew that a simple toy could have such a dramatic impact on the weather? Looks like we should all think twice before picking up that yo-yo again!
3. Did you know that your beloved pet hamster might be related to a pair of adventurous rodents that were brought back from Syria by a zoologist in 1930? Yep, those two hamsters bred like rabbits, and their offspring were sent all around the world to be studied. So the next time you see a cute little hamster, remember that it might just be a distant cousin of those Syrian trailblazers!
4. Move over, James Bond! The real spy action happened when Israeli Mossad agent Eli Cohen infiltrated the Syrian government and convinced them to plant trees. These trees were later used as markers for Israeli forces in the 6-day war.
5. Aramaic, the ancient language spoken by Jesus, is still used as a mother tongue in a small village in Syria.
6-10 Interesting Facts About Syria War
6. The Syrian war has resulted in a devastating loss of life, with estimates suggesting that over half a million people have been killed.
7. Children have been particularly affected, with approximately 55,000 killed.
8. And almost 5 million kids were born into the war.
9. The psychological impact of the war is immense, with more than 75% of Syrian refugees experiencing PTSD.
10. The cost of food in Syria has risen dramatically, with prices now 33 times higher than the pre-war average.
11-15 Insane Facts About Syria
11. Despite the current conflict, Syria has a rich and ancient history. Damascus, the capital city, is the world’s longest continually inhabited city and has a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
12. Syria is home to the oldest library in the world, the Elba Library.
13. It is a founding member of the United Nations.
14. The war in Syria is a complex conflict involving troops from almost 34 countries, with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria/Levant being enemies.
15. In 1973, Syria’s air defense system was once so powerful that it almost took down the Israeli air force in 18 days. But then, the Israeli air force came back like a phoenix from the ashes, rebuilt and ready to fight. In 1982, they launched the biggest-air battle since the Korean war and destroyed nearly the Syrian air defense and air force in under 2 hours.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Interesting Syria Facts For Kids.
15 Mind-Blowing Barbados Facts That You Should Know
10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Cyprus That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Ethiopia Facts That Will Amaze You
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Qatar That You Should Know