Barbados, an island nation in the Caribbean, is a paradise for travelers seeking sun, sand, and sea. With its crystal-clear waters, palm-fringed beaches, and vibrant culture, Barbados has something for everyone. However, Barbados is much more than just a beach destination – it is a country with a rich history, from its colonial past to its independence movement, and a culture that blends African, European, and Caribbean influences. From the bustling streets of Bridgetown to the tranquil villages of the countryside, Barbados is a destination that never fails to captivate visitors. Join us on a journey to discover the many wonders of Barbados, and explore why this island is one of the most popular and beloved destinations in the Caribbean.
1-5 Fun Facts About Barbados
1. Barbados got its name from the Bearded Fig Tree, which was discovered all over the island when the Portuguese arrived in 1536. The Portuguese called it “Los Barbados,” which means “The Bearded One.”
2. The main religion in Barbados is Christianity, with 95% of the population following it.
3. The tourism industry is the primary source of employment in Barbados, providing jobs to around 14,000 people and contributing 12% to the country’s GDP.
4. The legal age for drinking alcohol in Barbados is 18 years old, but children between the ages of 10-17 are allowed to consume alcohol if accompanied by a parent.
5. Mount Gay Rum, the world’s oldest rum brand dating back to 1703, is based in Barbados. The rum is exported to 110 countries worldwide.
6-10 Awesome Facts About Barbados
6. John Turner, future Canadian Prime Minister, was vacationing in Barbados in 1965. He saw someone struggling in rough surf, and without hesitation, he jumped in to save the day. It turned out that the person he saved was none other than former Canadian PM John Diefenbaker! Talk about a crazy coincidence!
7. Cricket is the national sport of Barbados.
8. Kraigg Brathwaite, West Indies’ top cricketer, might have never made it to the big leagues if it weren’t for Rihanna. When Kraigg was a scrawny kid getting bullied by his Combermere School bus mates, a girl named Robyn Fenty (aka Rihanna) came to the rescue. She beat up the bullies and even took Kraigg on her lap. Rihanna is not just a pop sensation. But also a guardian angel!
9. When it comes to celebrating its most celebrity, Barbados doesn’t mess around. They have a whole day dedicated to the one and only Rihanna! February 22nd is officially Rihanna Day in Barbados.
10. Barbados also named the street that Rhianna grew up on after her on Independence Day last year.
11-15 Interesting Facts About Barbados
11. When it comes to soccer, sometimes the best way to win is to score on yourself. At least, that’s what Barbados did in a match against Grenada in 1994. They had to goal on themselves (and then stop Grenada from scoring a self-goal of their own) to come out on top.
12. If you’re planning on visiting Barbados, make sure you leave your camouflage clothes at home. It’s illegal for anyone, even children, to wear camouflage clothing in Barbados. So, no army gear, no camo pants, and definitely no hiding in the bushes!
13. Barbados and Japan have the highest occurrences of centenarians per capita in the world.
14. The currency used in Barbados is the Barbados Dollar (BDS), which is tied to the US Dollar at a rate of US $1 = BDS $2.
15. McDonald’s might be everywhere, but not in Barbados (or Bermuda, Bolivia, Jamaica, Iceland, or Montenegro, for that matter). Yep, these countries have said goodbye to the golden arches, and who knows what delicious local food they’re enjoying instead!
16. With a literacy rate of 99.7%, Barbados ranks third in the world. School is mandatory in the country up to the age of 16.
17. Although English is the official language of Barbados, most people speak Bajan, a dialect that can vary from parish to parish.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Interesting Barbados Facts For Kids.
10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Cyprus That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Ethiopia Facts That Will Amaze You
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Qatar That You Should Know
15 Awesome Facts About Lithuania That Will Blow Your Mind