Nelson Mandela was a man who dedicated his life to the fight for freedom, justice, and equality in South Africa. His unwavering commitment to ending the Apartheid system and his leadership in promoting racial reconciliation has made him one of the most influential and revered leaders of our time. From his early life and activism to his years in prison and leadership as President, there’s so much to learn about this remarkable man. Join me on this journey as we discover the many facets of Nelson Mandela’s life and legacy, and be moved and inspired by the story of one of the most remarkable leaders of our time.
Shocking Facts about Nelson Mandela
1. Nelson Mandela, a man of many names, was not only South Africa’s first black president, but also a “troublemaker” as his birth name “Rolihlahla” suggests.
2. Nelson Mandela’s parents were illiterate.
3. With four wives and thirteen children, His father was a polygamist.
4. In 1962, the CIA dropped a dime on Mandela, leading to his arrest and 27-year stay in a South African prison.
5. Mandela’s prison accommodations were less than decent. He slept on a thin mat on a stone floor for most of his 27 years in prison.
Surprising Facts about Nelson Mandela
6. Even after his release from prison, the US government continued to view Mandela as a terrorist and kept him on the terrorist watchlist until 2008.
7. The US government also banned Mandela from entering the country until 2008, requiring a special waiver for him to visit.
8. Nelson Mandela made a cameo appearance in the 1992 film “Malcolm X” as a teacher reciting one of civil rights activists Malcolm X’s speeches.
9. Mandela’s first marriage ended in divorce after 13 years, due to his infidelity and his wife’s membership in the politically neutral Jehovah’s Witnesses religion.
10. Mandela later married the widow of Mozambique’s President.
Interesting Facts about Nelson Mandela
11. He experienced the loss of two sons, one in a car crash and the other to AIDS.
12. During his presidency service, Mandela oversaw the construction of 750,000 houses, the connection of 2 million people to the electricity grid, and the extension of water access to 3 million people.
13. Mandela was also good at serving punches. In the 1950s, Mandela had a dual life as a dedicated attorney during the day and an amateur boxer at night.
14. When Mandela began studying law at the University of Witwatersrand, he was the only native African student in his class.
15. In 1962, Mandela was in prison for minor charges and secretly asked his colleagues to destroy his writings. However, they were poorly hidden and discovered by authorities, which led to them being used against Mandela in court. This ultimately resulted in him spending 27 years in prison, instead of the originally intended 5 years.
Awesome Facts about Nelson Mandela
16. The shape of Nelson Mandela’s handprint is said to resemble the African continent.
17. Nelson Mandela and Muammar Gaddafi were known to have a close friendship.
18. Mandela also co-authored a book with Fidel Castro, the former leader of Cuba.
19. Mandela was known for his masterful use of disguise, earning him the nickname “Black Pimpernel” for his ability to evade arrest. He was finally apprehended while dressed as a chauffeur, due to a tip-off from a CIA agent.
20. Mandela credited “The Revolt” by former Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin as one of the books he used to plan the ANC’s guerrilla campaign against the apartheid government in South Africa.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Nelson Mandela facts.
20 MIND BLOWING ABRAHAM LINCOLN FACTS
SHOCKING FACTS ABOUT MARTIN LUTHER KING JR
20 MIND-BLOWING FACTS ABOUT CUBA THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW