Welcome to the electrifying world of Lightning facts! Lightning is one of the most awe-inspiring and powerful natural phenomena on Earth. From its unique formation in the atmosphere to the science behind its intense energy, there’s so much to learn about this force of nature. Whether you’re a weather enthusiast or just curious about lightning, you’ll find something interesting here. So, let’s dive in and explore the many fascinating facts about lightning together!
1-5 Interesting Facts about Lightning
1. Men are struck by lightning five times more often than women. Damn you, Zeus!
2. The Statue of Liberty is like the lightning rod of New York, getting hit by about 600 bolts of lightning every year.
3. In Venezuela, there’s a storm that just won’t quit at Lake Maracaibo. It’s like lightning storm central, with over 1.2 million lightning discharges each year.
Read More: 20 Mind-Blowing Venezuela Facts That You Should Know
4. Don’t worry about lightning bringing down your plane, engineers have got you covered since 1963. Careful engineering allows the electric charge of a lightning bolt to run through the plane and out of it.
5. In a tragic turn of events, a 62-foot Jesus statue built by a megachurch was destroyed by a lightning strike.
6-10 Shocking Facts about Lightning
6. In 1998, a soccer match in Africa took a tragic turn when all 11 members of one team were killed by lightning, leaving the other team unscathed.
7. In 1939, a lightning strike in Utah took out 835 sheep in one fell swoop.
8. A lightning bolt is like a toaster on steroids, with enough energy to toast 160,000 pieces of bread.
9. A bolt of lightning is like a mini sun. It’s five times hotter than the surface of the sun.
10. Getting hit by lightning can leave you with some pretty wild skin designs called “Lichtenberg figures.”
11-15 Surprising Facts about Lightning
11. Global warming might bring more lightning strikes, a scientific report predicts a 50% increase by 2100.
12. Some volcano eruptions can create powerful electrical charges that can lead to bolts of lightning that are as long as two miles.
13. The Eiffel Tower has been hit by lightning before. In 1902, it damaged the upper section requiring reconstruction of the top.
Read More: 20 Surprising Eiffel Tower Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
14. The Empire State building is like a lightning magnet, getting hit by lightning about 23 times each year.
15. African bongos are like the ultimate storm chasers. They eat burned wood after lightning storms.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Interesting facts about Lightning.
20 Mind-Blowing Volcano Facts That Will Amaze You
20 Surprising Eiffel Tower Facts That Will Blow Your Mind