Welcome to the world of Eiffel Tower facts! The Eiffel Tower, one of the most iconic structures in the world, has stood as a symbol of Paris and France for over 130 years. From its construction and history to its cultural significance and impact on modern architecture, there’s much to learn about this tower. Whether you’re an architecture enthusiast or just curious about this iconic landmark, you’ll find something interesting here. So, let’s climb to new heights and discover the many fascinating facts about the Eiffel Tower together!
1-5 Fun Facts about Eiffel Tower
1. The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 Paris Exposition as a temporary structure, but it was repurposed as a giant radio antenna and saved from demolition.
2. Photography enthusiasts beware: It’s actually illegal to reproduce photos of the Eiffel Tower at night.
3. During World War II, the French cut the lift cables on the Eiffel Tower to prevent Hitler from accessing the top. Can you imagine the look on his face when he had to climb all those steps? Priceless.
4. Originally, Barcelona, Spain, was supposed to be the location of the Eiffel Tower. But, the project was rejected because they thought the thing would end up looking like an eyesore.
5. A con artist, Victor Lustig, successfully “sold” the Eiffel Tower twice. Talk about a tall tale!
6-10 Interesting Facts about Eiffel Tower
6. The Eiffel Tower is lit up by 20,000 light bulbs. That’s enough to make even the grumpiest Parisian smile.
7. The height of the Eiffel Tower can change by up to 5.9 inches (15 cm) due to temperature changes. That’s taller than most people’s insecurities.
8. Erika Eiffel, formerly Erika Berlin Wall, has been married to the Eiffel Tower for almost 17 years. Talk about a weird fetish!
9. Climbing to the top of the Eiffel Tower is no easy feat. It requires 1,665 steps, which is a lot of stairs to burn off all that croissant and cheese.
10. While there are over 30 replicas of the Eiffel Tower around the world. The Tokyo Tower is taller than Eiffel Tower.
11-15 Awesome Facts about Eiffel Tower
11. Gustave Eiffel, the man behind the design of the Eiffel Tower, had an apartment at the top. He used it to entertain guests and carry out meteorological observations. Talk about having the best view in the city!
12. Gustave Eiffel also designed the Statue of Liberty’s spine, proving that he’s not just a one-hit-wonder.
13. The Eiffel Tower requires 60 tonnes of paint for a surface of 250,000 m2. It’s been painted 18 times, an average of once every seven years.
14. It would cost a whopping US$31 million to build the Eiffel Tower today.
15. Did you know that the Eiffel Tower almost took a trip to Canada in 1967? That’s right, plans were in the works to temporarily relocate the iconic structure to Montreal for Expo 67! But unfortunately, the idea was too expensive to move.
16-20 Shocking Facts about Eiffel Tower
16. The 1889 World’s Fair in Paris, famous for the construction and unveiling of the Eiffel Tower, had a disturbing attraction: a “Negro Zoo,” with 400 black people in cages.
17. In 1902, a lightning strike caused damage to the upper section of the Eiffel Tower, requiring the reconstruction of the top. Talk about being struck by inspiration!
18. Novelist Guy de Maupassant famously denounced the Eiffel Tower as a “useless and monstrous” structure. He even went as far as to eat his meals in the restaurant at the tower’s base just to avoid looking at it. Talk about a grudge!
19. Talk about a historic year! The Eiffel Tower was inaugurated in 1889, the same year Nintendo and Adolf Hitler were born.
20. The Eiffel Tower is the most-visited paid monument in the world, with over 6 million visitors in 2018. That’s a lot of people trying to take the perfect Instagram shot!
In China, there is a replica of Paris city. But now, it’s a ghost town. Talk about a failed imitation.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Awesome facts about the Eiffel Tower for Kids
30 Mind-Blowing Facts About Ancient Rome
25 Awesome Brazil Facts That You May Not Know
20 Cool Iceland Facts That You May Not Know
25 Mind-Blowing Australia Facts
25 Mind-Blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder