25 Irresistible Facts About Popcorn That Will Surprise You

25 Irresistible Facts About Popcorn That Will Surprise You

Popcorn: the classic movie snack that’s impossible to resist. But did you know that there’s more to popcorn than just a delicious treat? In this article, we’ll explore 25 popcorn facts that are sure to surprise you. From its ancient roots in Mexico to the science behind the popping process, get ready to learn all about this beloved snack. So grab a bowl of popcorn (or two) and let’s get popping with these fun facts!

1-5 Fun Facts About Popcorn

25 Irresistible Facts About Popcorn That Will Surprise You

1. During the Great Depression, popcorn gained popularity due to its affordability.

2. Have you ever wondered why movie theater popcorn is so darn expensive? Well, for every dollar you spend on popcorn, the theater makes a whopping 90 cents in profit. 

3. Popcorn was once banned from movie theaters in the 1920s because of the noise it produced while being consumed.

4. When TVs started becoming popular in the 1950s, popcorn sales took a hit because people stayed home to watch movies instead of going out to the theater. But when popcorn became more readily available for home popping, it made a comeback. 

5. Popcorn is an ancient snack that dates back to around 3600 BC. That means people have been popping kernels for over 5,000 years! Now that’s a timeless treat.

6-10 Interesting Facts About Popcorn

25 Irresistible Facts About Popcorn That Will Surprise You

6. In 2011, a man in Latvia fatally shot another man in a movie theater for eating popcorn too loudly.

7. Popcorn was the first food to be intentionally cooked in a microwave.

8. A medium popcorn and soda combo has a nutritional value equivalent to consuming three-quarter pound burgers with 12 butter pats.

9. Americans consume approximately 17 billion quarts of popcorn annually, which would be enough to fill the Empire State Building 18 times.

10. Popcorn is the official snack of Illinois and has been celebrated with an annual “Popcorn Day” since 1958.

11-15 Surprising Facts About Popcorn

25 Irresistible Facts About Popcorn That Will Surprise You

11. Want to watch your weight without giving up your snacking habit? According to the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association, you can swap bread for popcorn. 

12. Popcorn kernels can pop up to three feet in the air.

13. In ancient times, popcorn was made by heating sand in a fire and stirring kernels in the hot sand.

14. Around 70% of popcorn sold in America is consumed at home, with the remaining 30% eaten in theaters, stadiums, schools, and other locations.

15. By volume, popcorn is America’s favorite snack food.

16-20 Scientific Facts About Popcorn

25 Irresistible Facts About Popcorn That Will Surprise You

16. Popcorn isn’t just a tasty snack – it’s also packed with nutrition. It has more protein than any other cereal grain, more iron than eggs or roast beef, and more fiber than pretzels or potato chips. Who needs a fancy meal when you can have a bowl of popcorn?

17. Many microwave popcorn products contain diacetyl, a chemical that has been linked to harmful health effects when inhaled. Despite this, the FDA still deems it safe for consumption.

18. A cup of plain popcorn has only 31 calories, making it a guilt-free snack.

19. A serving of three cups of popcorn contains 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.

20. Nebraska is the top producer of shelled popcorn in the United States, accounting for 44% of all popcorn production with an annual output of 353.7 million pounds. And, Popcorn sales peak during the fall season.

21-25 Unknown Facts About Popcorn

21. American Indians believed that spirits resided peacefully within each popcorn kernel and that when the kernels were heated, the spirits would become angry and eventually burst out of their “houses” in a burst of steam.

22. Native Americans not only ate popcorn, but also used it to make beer and soup.

23. Unpopped popcorn kernels are commonly referred to as “old maids.”

24. During World War II, Americans ate three times more popcorn than usual due to sugar being sent overseas for U.S. troops, leaving little excess for making candy.

25. Orville Redenbacher is the world’s best-selling popcorn brand, and its inventor, Orville, started growing popping corn at the young age of 12 in 1919.

That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 25 Amazing Popcorn facts

Read More:

20 Fun and Fascinating Facts About Avocados

20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Milk That You Didn’t Know