“Ladies and gentlemen, gather ’round, for I am about to take you on a journey through one of the most controversial topics of our time: the death penalty. Now, before you start getting all riled up, let me assure you this article isn’t here to take sides or argue the morality of the death penalty. It’s here to explore a funnier, more absurd side of capital punishment. From the ridiculous last meals of death row inmates to the comical mishaps that have occurred during executions, we’re going to take a lighthearted look at the topic. Let’s explore the funnier side of the ultimate punishment.”
Interesting Facts about Death Penalty
1. The death penalty is like a game of Russian roulette with the legal system. And it’s legal in 32 states in the good ol’ United States.
2. But here’s the kicker, 1 in 25 US Citizens sentenced to death penalty is innocent.
3. Can you believe it? And it ain’t just us. The Brits however banned it after they wrongfully executed a man for killing his family.
4. But it’s not just the Americans and the Brits. Other countries have some wild laws too. In Singapore, getting caught with drugs is like signing your death warrant.
5. Iran sentences its citizens to death if they dare to change their religion from Islam.
Shocking Facts about Death Penalty
6. However, they got nothing in front of Sudan. In Sudan, they still have the official form of the death penalty as the Crucifixion!
7. On the night before his execution, a man in Georgia escaped from prison, and later that night, he was beaten to death in a bar fight. Talk about adding insult to injury.
8. 60% of the world’s population lives in countries where the death penalty is legal, like China, India, the U.S., and Indonesia.
9. In China, they have mobile “execution vans” to enforce the death penalty without moving to a proper execution ground. It’s like a food truck. But instead of tacos, they serve death sentences.
10. But it gets even crazier. In 2005, a Chinese company went ahead and used skin harvested from the corpses of executed convicts to make beauty products! Talk about using the “dead” in “deadly beauty.”
Surprising Facts about Death Penalty
11. And even the big brands have some dark inspirations, like Nike’s famous slogan “Just do it,” which was inspired by the last words of a man about to be executed.
12. A death row study found that ice cream and pie were the most popular desserts for a last meal, followed by cake. I mean, if it’s your last meal, you might as well indulge, right?
13. Six in ten Americans support the death penalty for murderers who are found guilty.
14. But what’s more unfortunate is it’s not just murder that can get you the death penalty. In 13 nations, the death penalty is used to punish atheism.
15. But the good news is that 103 countries have abolished the death penalty, but some notable exceptions include the U.S., Japan, and China. So, be careful where you travel folks!
Crazy Facts about Death Penalty
16. In Egypt, 86% of people surveyed are in favor of the death penalty for abandoning Islam. I guess they don’t like apostates.
17. Let’s not forget ancient history. In Ancient Egypt, if a person killed a cat, even by accident, they would be put to death as punishment.
18. In Ancient Rome, the punishment for killing one’s father was the death penalty, by being sewn up in a sack with a viper, a dog, and a cock. Talk about getting the whole family together for the execution!
19. Death row inmates in Texas don’t get to pick their last meal, they get whatever the state serves, but I heard the Texas chili is killer.
20. And Japanese death row inmates aren’t even told their date of execution. They wake up each day wondering if it’s their last breakfast.
Bonus Fact: Possessing Bibles, watching South Korean movies, and distributing pornography may be punished with death in North Korea. So, the next time you plan on visiting North Korea, make sure to leave your Bible, K-pop, and pornography at home, unless you’re looking for a one-way ticket to the execution chamber.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Death Penalty facts that you should know.
20 Mind Blowing Abraham Lincoln Facts
40 Shocking Psychology Facts That You Need To Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts about George Washington