Welcome to the land of rugged mountains, picturesque villages, and tax-free shopping! Andorra may be one of the smallest countries in Europe, but it certainly packs a punch when it comes to fascinating facts and unique features. From its position as a high-altitude playground for outdoor enthusiasts to its peculiar status as a co-principality ruled by two heads of state, there’s much to discover about this pint-sized nation. Join us as we delve into the captivating world of Andorra facts and uncover some of the most interesting tidbits about this hidden gem of a country.
1-5 Fun Facts About Andorra
1. Nestled between France and Spain, Andorra is a small but mighty micro-state that has managed to maintain its independence for over a millennium, save for a few minor hiccups.
2. When it comes to military might, Andorra’s army might be small (just 12 soldiers!), but they take their duty seriously – their main job is to present the flag of Andorra at official ceremonies.
3. Even though Andorra doesn’t have a formal army, the country does have a unique law that requires all citizens to keep a rifle in their homes. In case of an emergency, the police can provide additional firearms to those who need them.
4. During World War I, Andorra declared war on Germany but didn’t send any soldiers to fight since they didn’t have an army. Surprisingly, Andorra technically remained at war with Germany until both countries signed a peace agreement in 1958.
5. Andorra is ruled by two Co-princes, the President of France and the Bishop of Urdell. Up until 1993, Andorra would pay a tribute of ~$460 to the French President on odd-numbered years, while on even-numbered years, the Bishop would receive ~$12, plus six hams, six pieces of cheese, and six live chickens.
Facts About Andorra
6. Even during a global pandemic, Andorra managed to keep its cool when Poland banned all flights from the country – only to realize that Andorra doesn’t even have an airport, to begin with!
7. If you’re from a former colony of the Spanish Empire like Andorra, gaining Spanish citizenship only requires 2 years of residency.
8. Andorra may be small, but it has a big appetite for McDonald’s, with 5 locations and the most McDonald’s per capita in the world – roughly 1 per 16,000 people, 63% higher than in the U.S.
9. Measuring only about 40km from end to end, Andorra is the 16th smallest country by land and the 11th smallest by population.
10. Andorra has never had its currency or a national bank.
Bonus Facts About Andorra:
11. Despite its small size, Andorra attracts over 10 million visitors annually, making it the most visited country per capita in the world. However, Most of these visitors come from nearby Spain and France to take advantage of cheaper shopping and fuel prices 🙂
12. In a bizarre incident, a Russian adventurer once declared himself the sovereign of Andorra and named himself King Boris I. He even declared war on the Bishop of Urgell, one of Andorra’s co-princes, but was quickly arrested and expelled from Spain.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Interesting Andorra Facts For Kids.
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Haiti That Will Amaze You
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Honduras That Will Surprise You
10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Jordan That Will Amaze You
15 Surprising Facts About Jamaica That Will Blow Your Mind