With over 500 million copies sold worldwide, Harry Potter is the best-selling book series in history. But well know that the wizarding world of Harry Potter is such a lot quite just books or a movie series or a franchise.
For many Potterhead’s, it’s an actual world that they will escape to when reading or watching. There’s such a lot happening within the Harry Potter world, actually, that it are often hard to stay track of all the small details.
In fact, there are many fun facts about Harry Potter and therefore the wizarding world that even a number of the most important fans aren’t conscious of . They add an additional layer of fascination to the stories and, if possible, make J.K. Rowling’s made-up world even better. Here’s a glance at some facts about HP you almost certainly didn’t know.
1-10 Harry Potter Facts
1. A huge fan of the books, Robin Williams, requested to him play the role of Hagrid when he heard about the movie adaptation. Unfortunately, one among Rowling’s strictest requests for the films was to cast only British actors, so Williams, an American, wasn’t allowed to audition.
2. .Initially, Spielberg was on board to direct the Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, but he dropped out after a couple of months of performing on the movie. Since Spielberg didn’t see the movie challenging enough for him, he left the job. Therefore the job visited Chris Columbus instead.
3. When Dobby made his film debut, A lawyers’ guild in Russia planned a lawsuit against the film series over claims that Dobby’s appearance was based on that of the Russian leader, Putin.
4. Long before the 2016 play, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Michael Jackson had approached Rowling with the thought of turning her book series into a musical, but she turned the notion down.
5. The Dementors were based on Rowling’s experience with depression. She once described it as “that cold absence of feeling—that really hollowed-out feeling. That’s what Dementors are.”
6. Harry’s scar has been applied about 5800 times on Daniel during the making of the films.
7. Robbie Coltrane, Dame Maggie Smith, and Alan Rickman were all handpicked by Rowling for their roles.
8. In addition to being handpicked by J.K. Rowling, Alan Rickman also received some special instructions from her about his character. Rowling even provided him with vital details of Snape’s backstory, not revealed until the last novel.
9. There is a real-life Hogwarts school in Poland. For $375, you can learn at the “College of Wizardry”, an epic 4 day LARP event where you will learn spells, be sorted into a house, interact with magical creatures and stay in a replica of the Hogwarts castle.
10. As of 2021, the Harry Potter(Wizarding World) franchise is worth over $32.2 billion.
11-20 Harry Potter Facts
11. The Weasley family’s flying car was a Ford Angelia, the same model as Rowling’s first car.
12. Umbridge did not get away with her horrible ways, Rowling confirmed that Umbridge did indeed get imprisoned for her actions at the Ministry of Magic.
13. Lucius Malfoy is ranked 12th on the Forbes list of the 15 richest fictional characters. According to the list, his net worth is 1.3$ billion.
14. Tom Felton said he got bullied at school because he played Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies.
15. The door to the chamber of Secrets with snakes on it was not a digital work effect, it really works.
You can see it at Harry Potter studios in Waterford Hertfordshire.
16. Only one curse word was ever said in the movies, and it was said by Molly Weasley before she kills Bellatrix Lestrange.
17. J.K. Rowling revealed on her website that she was asked to play Harry’s mother Lily during the Mirror of Erised scene, but she turned down the role, claiming that she isn’t an actress and would have “messed it up somehow”.
18. According to Tom Felton, Michael Gambon(Dumbledore) hid cigarettes and a lighter in his beard during the filming of Harry Potter.
19. Harry’s glasses are a part of what makes the character so iconic, and Radcliffe certainly spent tons of your time wearing specks over the course of filming the eight movies. In total, Radcliffe went through 160 pairs of glasses in his time as Harry, and about 80 different wands also.
20. Whenever you say Harry, Ron, and Hermione doing schoolwork within the movies, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson were actually doing their homework.’
21-30 Harry Potter Facts
21. When Spielberg was pegged to direct “Sorcerer’s Stone”, he wanted Haley Joel Osment (of “Sixth Sense” fame) to play the role of Harry Potter.
22. In Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix, Arthur Weasley was originally alleged to die, but later his death was replaced with the death of Sirius.
23. Radcliffe broke about 80 wands throughout filming because he kept using them as drumsticks.
24. One of the administrators , Alfonso Cuarón, told Watson, Radcliffe, and Grint to write down down essays about their characters. Radcliffe wrote a page, Watson wrote 10, and Grint didn’t write anything—just like their characters.
25. J.K. Rowling has said that watching Daniel Radcliffe’s audition tape was like “Watching a son”.
26. In Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows part 1, the scene where ‘Seven potters’ proved to be very difficult for Daniel Radcliffe because each ‘Harry’ spoke differently and required his own persona. It took more than 90 takes for this single scene to be shot.
27. For an extended time, Rowling planned the last word within the series to be “scar,” but eventually changed the last sentence to “All was well.”
28. It took the filmmakers 11 weeks to build the Great Hall Set.
29. Lupin wasn’t originally meant to die, but Rowling knew she needed to bring back the story of parents dying and needed to point out that leaving a toddler parentless is one of the foremost horrific things about war.
30. The International Statute of Secrecy prescribes all children under 11 to study at home because they are considered to be unable to control their magic powers and can reveal themselves to ordinary people
31-44 Harry Potter Facts
31. Rowling has said that Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson were all too good looking for their parts.
32. Rowling’s favorite character is Dumbledore.
33. With a box office collection of over $796,093,802 worldwide, HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (2004) is the least grossing Harry Potter film.
34. It took 40 people and seven months to build Hogwarts for the movie.
35. Fred Weasley was the toughest person for Rowling to kill.
36. Ordinary people see an old abandoned castle in the place where Hogwarts should be.
37. J.K. Rowling revealed that Hermione’s character was almost a copy of the author’s 11-year-old self. She said that, of course, Hermione was much wiser, but their thirst for knowledge and impatience toward weird behavior is the same.
38. The Ministry of Magic is responsible for all the school’s expenses. Therefore, Hogwarts is a tuition-free school.
39. Dumbledore was really old when he died: 115 years old. Voldemort died at the age of 71, despite his numerous attempts to become immortal.
40. Rowling has said that if Voldemort saw a boggart it would embody his corpse since death was always his greatest fear.
41. If Muggles stumbled across Hogwarts, it would look like a dilapidated building with a “Keep Out: Dangerous” sign on it.
42. Rowling has admitted that she regrets the relationship between Ron and Hermione.
43. While filming the kissing scene between the Horcrux versions of Harry and Hermione in Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Ron had to be removed from the set for laughing hysterically.
44. With a box office collection of over $1,341,932,398 worldwide, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2 (2011) is the highest-grossing Harry Potter film.
Further more of these interesting articles to read:
33 Nerve wrecking Game Of Thrones facts
Top 50 Highest Grossing Movies of All Time