Welcome to the land of superlatives! The United Arab Emirates, or UAE, is a country that’s known for its extravagant architecture, luxury lifestyle, and record-breaking achievements. From the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, to the artificial islands of Palm Jumeirah, the UAE is a destination that’s always pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. But beyond its glittering cities and opulent resorts lies a country with a rich cultural heritage, where ancient traditions and modern aspirations come together in a fascinating blend of life. Join us as we explore the world of UAE facts and uncover some of the most-interesting and little-known aspects of this nation.
1-5 Fun Facts About United Arab Emirates
1. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is made up of seven emirates, namely Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ras al-Khaimah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain, and Fujairah. Each emirate has its unique culture and traditions.
2. The UAE is an absolute monarchy, and each emirate is ruled by its own royal family. However, the president and head of state is the emir of Abu Dhabi, while the emir of Dubai serves as the prime minister.
3. Emiratis make up less than 12% of the population of the UAE, with ex-pats accounting for the majority of the population. The UAE ranks behind only Qatar among Gulf nations with the highest percentage of ex-pats.
4. The Capital Gate in Abu Dhabi is the world’s most inclined building, featuring 35 floors and an 18-degree lean, which is 14 degrees more than the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
5. The Burj Al Arab is the world’s first seven-star hotel. It is considered one of the most luxurious hotels globally. The hotel’s interiors are adorned with 24-carat gold leaves that cover around 1790 square meters, and it even offers a ‘Pillow Menu’ with nine different types of pillows for guests to choose from.
6-10 Surprising Facts About United Arab Emirates
6. Dubai is home to four man-made islands: The Palm Jumeirah, the Palm Jebel Ali, Deira Island, and The Worlds.
7. The week in the UAE starts on a Sunday, with Friday and Saturday being the official weekends.
8. Since 2011, the UAE has experimented with a process called cloud seeding, which involves using drones to add silver iodide and electrical charges to existing clouds to increase precipitation and reduce summer temperatures.
9. The UAE showed kindness to the US by donating a laptop to every high school student in Joplin, Missouri, following a devastating tornado that hit the city.
10. The Dubai Police is known for its impressive fleet of supercars, including Bugatti, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, Camaro, Mercedes, and more, with the Veyron being the fastest, reaching a top speed of 407 kilometers per hour.
11-15 Interesting Facts About UAE
11. An individual from Switzerland is currently serving a four-year prison sentence in the United Arab Emirates after being found with three poppy seeds on his clothes, which were from a bread roll he consumed at Heathrow Airport.
12. A UAE delegate was deported from Saudi Arabia because of concerns that his good looks might corrupt impressionable women at the annual Janadriyah Festival.
13. Due to the Burj Khalifa building’s immense height, residents above floor 80 must wait an additional 3 minutes after sunset occurs before breaking their fast during Ramadan, as they experience sunset 3 minutes later than those on lower floors.
14. In the UAE, crucifixion is considered a legal form of punishment.
15. Falcons hold a special place in the heart of UAE as they are designated as the National Bird and even require a passport to leave the country due to their significance.
16-20 Insane Facts About United Arab Emirates
16. The UAE’s economy heavily relies on oil exports, which make up around 30% of its Gross Domestic Product.
17. In 2001, the United Arab Emirates issued a fatwa against the popular franchise Pokemon, citing its basis on “a Jewish-Darwinist theory that conflicts with the truth about humans and with Islamic principles,” in addition to its promotion of gambling.
18. The UAE is a popular tourist destination, attracting over 12 million visitors annually, with the tourism sector contributing around 10% to the country’s GDP.
19. Abu Dhabi is renowned for its safety, boasting a near-zero crime rate, making it one of the safest cities in the world.
20. Despite camels being a common sight in the UAE, the country’s national animal is the Arabian Oryx.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting United Arab Emirates Facts For Kids.
10 Surprising Facts About Uzbekistan That Will Blow Your Mind
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Iraq That Will Shock You
10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Andorra That You Should Know
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Haiti That Will Amaze You