Step into the labyrinth of affordable furniture, where minimalist dreams and hex keys collide – yes, we’re talking about the beloved kingdom of IKEA. From meatballs that are more famous than some celebrities, to furniture names that sound like tongue-twisters in a foreign language, IKEA has woven itself into the fabric of modern life. In this article, we’re unraveling 25 fascinating IKEA facts that might just make you see those iconic blue and yellow aisles in a whole new light. Prepare to be amused, amazed, and perhaps slightly bewildered by the world of flat-packed wonders!
1-5 Fun Facts About IKEA
1. The name “IKEA” is an acronym derived from the founder’s name, Ingvar Kamprad, the farm where he grew up, Elmtaryd, and his hometown in Sweden, Agunnaryd.
2. The Controversial Founder: While Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA, revolutionized the furniture industry, it is important to acknowledge his controversial past as a Nazi sympathizer.
3. Known for his frugality, Kamprad was no ordinary billionaire. He was often seen pocketing salt and pepper packets at restaurants, reusing teabags, and driving a modest 1993 Volvo, despite being worth an impressive $58.7 billion at the time of his death.
4. The IKEA HQ in Delft, Netherlands, had to discontinue its €1 weekend breakfast offer due to overwhelming traffic congestion caused by its popularity.
5. IKEA’s furniture naming follows a geographic pattern, with items like sofas and coffee tables named after places in Sweden, beds and wardrobes after Norway, carpets after Denmark, and dining tables and chairs after Finland.
6-10 Interesting Facts About IKEA
6. The iconic oversized fans at IKEA are produced by a company aptly named “Big Ass Fans,” known for their powerful cooling solutions.
7. IKEA employs the “bulla bulla” technique, where items are deliberately jumbled in bins to create an impression of volume and affordability, appealing to budget-conscious shoppers.
8. Astonishingly, IKEA uses 1% of the world’s wood supply in its furniture manufacturing processes.
9. IKEA aired the first US commercial featuring a homosexual couple, showing their commitment to diversity and inclusion. Unfortunately, the ad was withdrawn following bomb threats.
10. In a unique move, IKEA now produces its own beer, diversifying its product offerings beyond furniture and home goods. Enjoy some Swedish sips while relaxing on your favorite IKEA couch!
11-15 Awesome Facts About IKEA
11. IKEA shoppers in China are allowed to sleep on the furniture. Store staff will gently wake you up when it’s time to close.
12. IKEA employs honeycomb construction in its furniture, enhancing durability and strength while keeping products lightweight and sustainable.
13. MIT developed an IKEAbot robot capable of assembling IKEA furniture.
14. Studies have shown that people value products they assemble themselves approximately 63% higher than comparable pre-built furniture—a phenomenon now referred to as the “IKEA effect.”
15. In Sweden, IKEA offers complimentary bus services to its stores, making it easier for customers to access their products and services.
16-20 Surprising Facts About IKEA
16. IKEA once unleashed a horde of 100 cats in their store just to see how customers would react. I guess it was the purr-fect way to observe human behavior!
17. IKEA’s clever move to serve food in its stores, including the iconic Swedish meatballs and hot dogs, arose from a need to prevent hungry customers from leaving without making a purchase. Since then, over 1.2 billion hot dogs and 11.6 billion Swedish meatballs have been savored by patrons worldwide.
18. Surprisingly, an estimated 20% of British children were conceived in IKEA beds, a testament to the popularity and comfort of their furniture.
19. Affordable Housing Solutions: For those seeking budget-friendly housing, IKEA provides fully furnished one-bedroom houses, spanning 745 square feet, at an astonishingly affordable price of only $86,500.
20. Three times more IKEA catalogs are printed each year compared to Bibles, showcasing the sheer popularity and global reach of the brand. IKEA’s got the “faithful” following!
21-25 Insane Facts About IKEA
21. Unconventional Marketing: In a bold marketing move, IKEA ran a print advert that allowed expectant mothers to urinate on it, offering a 50% discount on a crib to pregnant customers—a quirky and memorable approach that garnered attention.
22. Surprisingly, the capes worn by the Night’s Watch in Game of Thrones were crafted from inexpensive IKEA rugs, highlighting the brand’s unexpected influence in popular culture.
23. Humble Origins: Initially, IKEA primarily sold small goods like pens and wallets before venturing into the furniture market in 1948.
24. Today, IKEA boasts an impressive network of over 400 stores worldwide.
25. Expanding Accommodation Ventures: IKEA has ambitious plans to construct over 100 hostels and dormitories across Western Europe, alongside an entire IKEA district in Hamburg with residential and office spaces.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading about 25 Awesome IKEA Facts
In case you’re interested in reading other articles: