Gun violence is a complex and controversial issue that has far-reaching consequences on society. Every year, countless lives are lost or forever changed due to firearms. But beyond the headlines and political debates, some startling and lesser-known facts about gun violence shed light on this pervasive problem. In this article, we’ve compiled 25 eye-opening gun violence facts that will leave you reeling. From the devastating impact on marginalized communities to the surprising statistics on gun ownership, get ready to confront the harsh realities of gun violence in America. So buckle up and let’s take a sobering look at some of the facts.
1-5 Insane Facts About Gun Violence
1. Gun violence claims the lives of over 500 individuals daily, and gun-related homicides account for 44% of all homicides worldwide.
2. Between 2012 and 2016, there were 1.4 million deaths resulting from firearms globally.
3. Approximately 8 million new small arms and up to 15 billion rounds of ammunition are produced annually.
4. The small arms market is worth an estimated US$8.5 billion each year.
5. In the United States, over 360 individuals are shot and survive every day.
6-10 Interesting Facts About Gun Violence
6. In 2017, 39,773 individuals died from gunshot injuries in the United States, resulting in an average of almost 109 deaths per day.
7. Compared to other industrialized countries, per capita firearm homicides in the United States disproportionately affect communities of color, particularly young Black men.
8. According to the CDC’s latest available data from 2021, 48,830 individuals died due to gun-related injuries in the United States.
9. In 45 states, individuals are permitted to carry firearms in public, while only seven states require a credible justification or demonstrated need for concealed carry. All 50 states and Washington, D.C. allow some form of concealed carry in public.
10. Public mass shootings contribute to less than 1% of gun deaths in the United States.
11-15 Shocking Facts About Gun Violence
11. Children from minority communities in the US are disproportionately affected by firearm killings. Homicide is the second leading cause of death for Black children, with 65% of these killings involving guns.
12. Between 2013 and June 2018, there were 316 incidents of gunfire on school grounds in the US.
13. Suicides have long accounted for the majority of gun deaths in the US. In 2021, suicides made up 54% of all gun-related deaths (26,328).
14. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more Americans died from gun-related injuries in 2021 than any other year on record.
15. It is crucial to bear in mind that 90% of teenage victims of dating violence are girls.
16-20 Impactful Facts About Gun Violence
16. In 2021, Mississippi (33.9 per 100,000 people), Louisiana (29.1), New Mexico (27.8), Alabama (26.4), and Wyoming (26.1) had the highest total rates of gun-related deaths (including murders, suicides, and other categories tracked by the CDC).
17. In contrast, Massachusetts (3.4), Hawaii (4.8), New Jersey (5.2), New York (5.4), and Rhode Island (5.6) had the lowest total rates.
18. Handguns were involved in 59% of the 13,620 gun murders and non-negligent manslaughters for which data is available in 2020, according to the FBI. Rifles, which include guns sometimes referred to as “assault weapons,” were involved in 3% of firearm murders.
19. Gun violence in America claims the lives of 12 children daily, with another 32 suffering from gunshot wounds.
29. Since the tragic Columbine incident in 1999, over 338,000 students in the United States have experienced gun violence in their schools.
21-25 Surprising Facts About Gun Violence
21. Surprisingly, In four out of five school shootings, at least one person knew about the attacker’s plans but failed to report them.
22. Black youths are four times more likely to be killed by guns than their white counterparts.
23. Moreover, An alarming 20% of gay and lesbian youths have been threatened or harmed with a weapon while on school property.
24. Children of color are significantly more likely to experience gun violence on campus, with Hispanic students at over twice the risk and black students over three times as vulnerable.
25. Finally, It is also worth noting that, on an average day in the US, only one individual is killed as a result of legal intervention.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 25 Insane Gun Violence Facts and Figures.
50 Disturbing World War 2 Facts That Every Human Should Know