Pigs are fascinating creatures that have captured our imagination for centuries. From their role as symbols of wealth and prosperity to their intelligence and social behavior, pigs are much more than just farm animals. In this article, we will delve into some of the most interesting and surprising pig facts that you may not know. From their exceptional sense of smell to their remarkable problem-solving skills, get ready to be amazed by the world of pigs.
1-5 Fun Facts about Pigs
1. Don’t believe everything you hear! Pigs are super clean creatures who won’t poop where they sleep or eat.
2. “Sweating like a pig”? More like “cool as a cucumber!” Pigs can’t sweat. So they roll around, sleep in the mud, and swim in the water to keep cool.
3. In Afghanistan, there’s only one pig, and his name is Khanzir, which means pig in Arabic! He’s a resident of the Kabul Zoo.
Read More: 20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Afghanistan That You Should Know
4. Brains and beauty? Pigs have got it all! With intelligence comparable to a human toddler, they have more brains than many breeds of dogs.
5. Mama pigs are musical! They sing to their piglets while nursing.
6-10 Interesting Facts about Pigs
6. Talkative pigs! They have over 20 grunts and squeals to communicate their needs and feelings.
7. Pigs love scratch sessions and belly rubs! These social creatures also enjoy playing with each other and enrichment toys.
8. The legal system was hog wild back in the day! In Europe, pigs could be tried and convicted of crimes and some even had lawyers.
9. In Bhutan, pigs can fly! Marijuana is used more often than grass in their feed.
10. There are Pigs in the Bahamas that bask in the sun, swim in the surf, and are friendly to visitors who bring treats.
11-15 Amazing Facts about Pigs
11. Hero pig saves the day! A pig named Lulu heard her owner having a heart attack, forced her way out, and “played dead” to get help. A driver stopped, and the pig led him to the trailer, he heard the woman and called 911.
12. Pigs run for office! In 1968, the Youth International Party nominated a pig as their presidential candidate.
13. Party animal pig! A feral pig once drank 18 beers, fought a cow, and passed out drunk under a tree.
14. The ultimate military weapon! In ancient warfare, war pigs were used to counter war elephants because they were afraid of pigs and their squeals.
15. Pigs are immune to snake venom.
16-20 Weird Facts about Pigs
16. Wheelchair-bound pig making a difference! Meet Chris P. Bacon, a pig who visits hospitals and has a book written after him.
17. If a domestic pig gets out into the wild, it will revert to a wild state within months, growing tusks and becoming more aggressive.
18. The Babirusas pigs have tusks that can grow so long that they can penetrate their skulls and kill them.
19. Pigs also have a dark side! Pigs will eat almost anything, including human bones. In 2012, a farmer in Oregon was eaten by his pigs after falling into their enclosure.
20. Speedy swine! Adult pigs can run at speeds of up to 11 mph, faster than some humans! Can you keep up?
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Pig Facts For Kids.
25 Mind-Blowing Facts About Trees That Will Surprise You
20 Mind-Blowing Austria Facts That Will Amaze You
25 Awesome Facts About Eagles That Will Surprise You
25 Amazing Facts About Thailand That You Probably Didn’t Know