Did you know? Despite being known as the king of the jungle, Lions do not live in jungles.
Incredible, isn’t it? Lions are not only the apex predators of land, but they are also filled with several interesting facts that you would love to know.
Shocking Facts about Lions
1. 2,000 years ago, Over a million lions roamed throughout regions that covered Europe, Syria, Israel, Iraq, Pakistan, Iran, and India. In the 1940s, lions numbered 450 000. But today, there are as few as 32,000 on Earth.
2. Despite that, Approximately 600 lions are killed mercilessly on trophy hunts every year.
3. Only about one in eight male lions survive to adulthood. A majority of lions die shortly after being kicked out of their pride around the age of two.
4. The most dangerous land animal in Africa is not the lion, but the hippopotamus hippos kill about 500 people a year lions kill around 100. However, The deadliest animal on the planet is actually much smaller than both, the mosquito, which causes 725 000 deaths per year.
5. While their numbers continue to decline rapidly, Lions are the only big cat not currently protected under the endangered species act. And pro-hunters are enjoying this.
Awesome Facts about Lions
6. Lions can run up to 80.5 km/h (50.0 mph) but only in a straight line and only for a few seconds at a time.
7. When taking over new territory and pride, some male lions will form a coalition or a group of three or four males will fight the resident male lion often to the death and kill all his cubs.
Read More: 30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals that will Amaze You
8. Lions have the weakest bite of all the big cats at 650 psi. While the jaguar has the strongest bite force of any big cat at 2000 psi. But the animal with the strongest bite of all is the Nile crocodile at 5000 psi.
9. Lions can see six times better in the dark than a human at night.
10. Unlike most other cats, lions are great swimmers.
Interesting Facts about Lions
11. Lionesses will often bring back a small animal such as a baby antelope alive so that the cubs can practice their hunting skills.
12. In 2002 much to the surprise of conservationists, a lioness adopted and protected a baby antelope. However, two weeks later, a male lion ate the baby while the lioness slept, the lioness appeared to be stricken with grief and walked around roaring in anger
13. A lion’s roar is the loudest of any big cat and can be heard up to five miles away. While a tiger’s roar can be heard for roughly two miles.
Read More: 15 Insane Facts About Tigers That Will Blow Your Mind
14. The lion is the most social of all big cats.
Since they are not as fast as other types of big cats such as leopards and tigers, they hunt using teamwork and rely more on strength and speed to catch and kill prey.
15. A Lion eats about 18 pounds of meat per day, which is equal to a human eating more than 70 hamburgers.
Fun Facts about Lions
16. Although the Lion is known as the king of the jungle, they do not live in jungles. They live only in grasslands and plains. But still, gotta thank Disney for giving us The Lion King.
17. Aslan is the Turkish and Mongolian word for Lion is also the name of the Lion in The Chronicles of Narnia.
18. Lion’s mane not only makes it look majestic, But also indicates its age.
The darker a male lion’s mane, the older he is. And more importantly, female lions prefer to mate with males with the longest and darkest mane.
19. Lions are the national animal of several countries, including Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, England, Ethiopia, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Singapore.
20. Male lions are the only big cats that look different than the females of the species.
Facts about Lions’ Habitant
21. A family of Lions is called a Pride.
A dominant male in pride has two jobs. First, he must mate with all the females in the pride, and second, he must defend the pride from other males who want to take over male lions usually can keep control over a pride for four years.
22. A lion prides territory can range from 20 square km (8 square miles) if food is abundant to 400 square km (around 150 square miles) if food is sparse.
23. Male lions may mate up to 100 times in two days to ensure that the female is pregnant. Although, Each mating lasts only a few seconds.
24. Among all the big cats’ lions are the laziest, the most sleep up to 16 to 20 hours a day. Additionally, male lions not only let the lioness do about 90 of the pride’s hunting, but they also have first dibs on eating the prey.
25. Lions can open their jaws up to one foot which is larger than a human head, this gives them one of the biggest mouths in the animal kingdom.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Mind-Blowing facts about Lions for kids.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
25 Scary and Awesome facts about Snakes that will surprise you
15 Awesome facts about Octopus that will blow your Mind
15 Awesome Facts about Dogs that will make you love them even more
30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals