Did you know? Dolphins sleep with only half their brain to be safe from potential predators and enable them to breathe while sleeping.
Incredible, isn’t it? Dolphins are not only one of the smartest animals in the world. But they are also filled with several Awesome and interesting facts that you would love to know.
Fun Facts About Dolphins
1. There are approximately 40 different species. Dolphins come in a variety of colors, including white, grey, blue, black, and even pink.
2. The smallest type of dolphin is 3-4 feet long, while the largest is 30 feet long!
3. Even though dolphins have an average lifespan of 17 years, some can live up to 50 years!
4. Dolphins have 2 stomachs. One is for food storage, while the other is for digestion. Lucky Bast*rds!
Read More: 30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals that will Amaze You
5. They are highly social animals that hunt and even play in groups. Superpods, or large pods of dolphins, can have 1,000 or more members.
Moreover, Dolphins assist members who are ill or injured. Yep, These compassionate creatures are frequently seen caring for the sick, elderly, and injured, members of their pod.
Interesting Facts About Dolphins
6. They choose names for themselves. Yep, Scientists have proven that dolphins give themselves names. They develop their own whistles and recognize the names of themselves and other dolphins.
7. They enjoy playing with their pod mates and are even friendly to humans. They are also frequently seen teasing and playing with other underwater animals.
8. But Sadly, Dolphins are killed for human consumption in Japan, Peru, the Solomon Islands, and the Faroe Islands.
Read More: 25 Mind-Blowing facts about Japan that will strike you like thunder
9. Dolphins have to hold their breath until they reach the surface, unlike fish, which breath underwater through their gills.
10. They sleep with only half their brain to be safe from potential predators and enable them to breathe while sleeping.
Amazing Facts About Dolphins
11. Dolphins do not chew their food; instead, they swallow it whole. Their teeth are only used to catch prey.
12. Dolphins are carnivores who eat a variety of fishes, squid, and crustaceans. A 260-pound (118-kg) dolphin consumes approximately 33 pounds (15 kilograms) of fish per day.
13. They have a swimming speed of 3 to 7 miles per hour. Some go faster, reaching speeds of 20 miles per hour.
14. Dolphins are intelligent creatures. One sign of their intellect is their ability to recognize themselves in a mirror. The only other animals capable of doing this are Humans, Great apes, Elephants, and Magpies.
Read More: 20 Interesting Facts About Elephants That Will Amaze You
15. Moreover, Dolphins are thought to have the longest memories of any animal.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 15 Mind-Blowing Dolphin facts for kids.
And in case you’re interested in reading other articles:
15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Cheetahs That You Didn’t Know
25 Scary and Awesome facts about Snakes that will surprise you
20 Awesome facts about Sharks that every diver should know