Welcome to the land of fairy tale castles, delicious beer, and rich history – the Czech Republic! Nestled in the heart of Europe, this country has something for everyone, whether you’re a lover of art, architecture, or music, or simply seeking a new adventure. From the stunning Gothic spires of Prague to the picturesque countryside dotted with charming villages and rolling hills, the Czech Republic is a hidden gem just waiting to be explored. So grab a pint of Pilsner and get ready to discover the magic of this enchanting destination.
1-5 Interesting Facts About Czechoslovakia
1. The split of Czechoslovakia was not favored by the majority of the people, as only 36-37% of Czechs and Slovaks supported the dissolution.
2. When Czechoslovakia split, each country, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, were given one verse of the national anthem to use.
3. Czechoslovakian car maker Tatra sued Volkswagen before WWII because the original Beetle was so similar to the Tatra T97. However, when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia in 1938, the lawsuit was canceled by the Nazis, leaving Tatra no recourse.
4. During the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia by Warsaw Pact soldiers, road signs were removed or painted over in towns to confuse the invaders, except for those pointing towards Moscow.
5. Despite an agreement between the Czech Republic and Slovakia that forbids either successor state from using the flag of Czechoslovakia. However, Czechia (formerly known as the Czech Republic) has been illegally using the flag of the former country.
6-10 Awesome Facts About Czech Republic
6. Before WWII, German Chief of the General Staff Ludwig Beck, along with other top generals, had planned to arrest Hitler if he declared war on Czechoslovakia.
7. Even after Germany had invaded Czechoslovakia, the New York Times Magazine published articles praising Hitler’s taste and design of his Bergh.
8. The Czech Republic is ranked as the seventh safest country in the world to live in, making it a great choice for those seeking a secure and comfortable lifestyle.
9. Czech is home to the largest ancient castle in the world, Prague Castle. It measures an impressive 570m in length and 128m in width.
10. Ice hockey is the most popular sport in the Czech Republic, a nation known for its passion and skill on the ice.
11-15 Surprising Facts About Czech Republic
11. The Czech Republic is considered one of the least religious countries in the world, with around 39.8% of the population identifying as atheists.
12. A whopping 11,000 Czechs identified themselves as “Knights of the Jedi” in the 2011 census. Apparently, they thought that being a Jedi was a religion. Either that or they just really wanted to be able to use force to levitate their beer mugs.
13. The word Robot comes from 1920s Czechoslovakia, and the original meaning was “forced laborer.”
14. Škoda, an automobile manufacturer that sells its cars in over 100 countries is a Czech brand.
15. Mushroom hunting is a beloved pastime of the Czech people, with more than 70% of the population venturing out to gather wild mushrooms at least once a year.
16-20 Insane Facts About Czech Republic
16. The Czech Republic is also the beer-drinking capital of the world, as Kirin Beer University has confirmed since 1993.
17. Czechia is the land of libraries and literature, where every citizen reads an average of 13 books a year. They’re so well-read that even the beer bottles come with book recommendations!
18. Many Hollywood movies have been filmed in Prague, including Tom Cruise’s Mission Impossible, The Illusionist, Yentl, Les Misérables, and Casino Royale.
19. Czech gymnast Věra Čáslavská persevered through adversity to medal in all six events, four of them Gold, at the 1968 Olympics after losing her training facility due to the Soviet-led invasion of Czechoslovakia.
20. In 1999, Philip Morris attempted to persuade the Czech Republic that smoking was beneficial to their economy, claiming that early deaths would save the government millions in health care, pension, and public housing costs.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 20 Interesting Czech Republic Facts For Kids.
20 Interesting Facts About Chad That You Probably Didn’t Know
10 Shocking Facts About Cameroon That Will Blow Your Mind
20 Mind-Blowing Facts About Hong Kong That Will Surprise You
15 Surprising Facts About Yemen That Will Blow Your Mind