“Warning: These 30 animal cruelty facts may be disturbing, but they are necessary to confront the harsh realities of the mistreatment of animals. From factory farming to entertainment, we’ll shed light on the cruel practices that animals endure and inspire you to take action for a more compassionate world.”
1-10 Disturbing Facts About Animal Cruelty
1. According to a 2010 USDA report, over 97,000 animals were subjected to painful experiments without anesthesia to relieve their suffering.
2. The Nazi Party passed animal protection laws when they came to power in 1933, with Hitler claiming that there would be no more animal cruelty in the new Reich.
3. The United Kingdom has recognized the intelligence of octopuses by granting them honorary vertebrate status for animal cruelty laws.
4. Chimpanzees can only be used for experimentation in the United States and Gabon.
5. The DNA of chimpanzees is 99% similar to humans, while mice share 98% of the same genes.
6. The Vacanti brothers grew a human ear using cow cartilage cells on a live mouse to investigate the possibility of creating body parts for reconstructive surgery.
7. Americans consume 9 billion chickens and 150 million cattle, pigs, and sheep every year while using around 26 million animals for research purposes, with 95% being rodents, birds, and fish.
8. Minnesota, New Jersey, and Massachusetts used the most cats, dogs, and primates, respectively, for testing in 2010.
9. The Animal Welfare Act (AWA) does not protect 95% of animals used in experiments, including birds, rats, and mice bred for research, reptiles, and most fish.
10. The California Biomedical Research Association asserts that almost all medical advancements in the past century resulted from animal research.
11-20 Shocking Facts About Animal Cruelty
11. A girl named, Mary Ellen Wilson was labeled as an animal instead of a child to remove her from an abusive home due to the absence of child abuse laws at the time.
12. Betty White, an animal enthusiast, and actress, declined a role in a film that contained an animal cruelty scene and is actively involved with the L.A. Zoo as a board member and donor.
13. In Helena, Montana, a man faced animal cruelty charges after giving a dog an amount of alcohol that could be fatal for humans.
14. Gucci, a dog who survived severe abuse and burns, played a pivotal role in the creation of animal cruelty laws in Alabama.
15. Despite animal cruelty legislation, live pigeon shooting is still practiced in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, without enforcement from authorities or intervention from local animal rights groups.
16. The RSPCA was founded 60 years before the NSPCC in the UK, highlighting a longer-history of concern for animal welfare over child welfare.
17. Rattlesnake Roundups in the US Southwest are considered animal cruelty, leading to the torture and deaths of thousands of rattlesnakes at a time and threatening their conservation status.
18. The special effects artist from “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial” was charged with animal cruelty for creating animatronic dogs that were too realistic and vivisected.
19. Dave Winfield, an MLB Hall of Famer, faced animal cruelty charges after accidentally killing a seagull with a thrown ball from the outfield.
Read More: 30 Mind-Blowing Baseball Facts That Will keep you on your toes
20. In 2010, the number of farm animals in the United States exceeded the human population on Earth.
21-30 Insane Facts About Animal Cruelty
21. Between 30 and 200 chinchillas, 60 mink, 50 sables, 50 muskrats, 45 opossums, 40 raccoons, 35 rabbits, 20 foxes, 20 otters, 18 lynx, 16 coyotes, 15 beavers, or 8 seals are needed to make a 40-inch fur coat.
22. A Columbia University primate lab came under fire after releasing a video showing a baboon with a wound in her head from a metal pipe inserted to study the effects of stress on her menstrual cycle.
23. Dogs are the most common victims of animal abuse, accounting for 65% of cases.
24. Animal abuse occurs at an alarming rate, with an animal suffering abuse every 60 seconds.
25. Farms account for 97% of all animal abuse cases.
26. Over 75% of reptiles die within the first year of being kept as pets.
27. Fishing gear is responsible for the injury or death of 650,000 marine mammals annually.
28. The demand for shark fin soup is driving millions of sharks to early deaths, with an estimated 100 million killed illegally each year for this purpose.
29. More than 115 million animals are used in laboratory experiments worldwide.
30. Poaching claims the lives of more than 35,000 elephants each year for their ivory.
That’s it for this post guys, I hope you had fun while reading 30 Insane Animal cruelty facts
30 Weird and Awesome facts about Animals that will Surprise you
25 Irresistible Facts About Otters That Will Leave You In Awe